X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAWYER RESPONSE Late payment of poll tax in the early 1990s

Hello everybody and thank you for all your great work.

I'm doing my application for British citizenship and am wondering how to word something that's very hazy in my memory and for which I can find no record in my archives at home. I was a student in 1990-91 and couldn't pay the very unfair community charge briefly introduced by Margaret Thatcher. After a court hearing I didn't attend (there were thousands of people in my situation) I must have received a liability order and paid what was due for that was the end of the matter. I think it should be better to mention it but am a bit at a loss how to explain it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Originally posted by Vero View Post
    Hello everybody and thank you for all your great work.

I'm doing my application for British citizenship and am wondering how to word something that's very hazy in my memory and for which I can find no record in my archives at home. I was a student in 1990-91 and couldn't pay the very unfair community charge briefly introduced by Margaret Thatcher. After a court hearing I didn't attend (there were thousands of people in my situation) I must have received a liability order and paid what was due for that was the end of the matter. I think it should be better to mention it but am a bit at a loss how to explain it. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Bilaal S (lawyer) would it be sufficient to mention this in a cover letter or would you recommend a requesting a Make a subject access request to HMRC - GOV.UK and then also address the late payment in a cover letter? Many thanks for your support with this question.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I think a brief mention in the covering letter is fine but I doubt it will be a basis for refusal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bilaal S View Post
        I think a brief mention in the covering letter is fine but I doubt it will be a basis for refusal.
        Thank you. There was some crossed posting and we are now trying to establish if the member meets the (EEA) lawful residence requirements in a different post. Proofs of residence for naturalisation (self sufficient) - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post

Bilaal S (lawyer) would it be sufficient to mention this in a cover letter or would you recommend a requesting a Make a subject access request to HMRC - GOV.UK and then also address the late payment in a cover letter? Many thanks for your support with this question.
          Just to clarify here, the poll tax was the predecessor of our council tax, i.e. local authority tax, so not payable to HMRC but to your council, I very much doubt HMRC would have any records of this kind of tax, and I also very much doubt the councils would, given how long ago it was abolished.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. As it is done online and I can't see how I can write a covering letter, I have said yes to my having had a civil court judgement against me and have explained the situation as shown in the screenshot of my application form -- see attached. Is that OK? Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Thank you for your answers. As it is done online and I can't see how I can write a covering letter, I have said yes to my having had a civil court judgement against me and have explained the situation as shown in the screenshot of my application form -- see attached. Is that OK? Thank you so much for your help!
              You will need to provide digital copies of all your supporting documents including your passport, evidence of residence, etc. The cover letter can be uploaded with the rest of the documents using the UKVCAS interface.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Now that I know where to upload the cover letter, could you please tell me if I need to send one and what should be in it. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Now that I know where to upload the cover letter, could you please tell me if I need to send one and what should be in it. Thanks again!
                  It's not mandatory be we recommend one, it can be used to explain anything that there's no room to cover on the form. See: Cover letter

Comment

Hello again,

I have received some news that will be relevant to other people who, like me, may have had to delay their payment of the community charge in the early 1990s. Thanks to your reminding me it would have been a local issue, I emailed the local council for information about my payment history. I received a truly lovely response that was also totally reassuring.

Here it is:

Dear Mrs X,
                    Thank you for your request via the website for information relating to a Court Summons for the delayed payment of the Community Charge. I have spoken to our team in Revenues and Benefits who deal with Council Tax and they have informed me that this Local Authority only holds records as far back as 1993 when the Council Tax Levy was introduced, previous Community charges or Poll Tax records no longer exist. Additionally they have informed me that a Liability Order, which is what you would have received, does not give you a criminal record of any form and our Legal Team does not hold such records either. You may find that there is in fact no trace of any such order ever having been issued anywhere and it is highly unlikely to be of any relevance to your Citizenship application.
                    I am sorry that we weren’t able to provide you with what you were looking for, however I wish you the very best in your citizenship application and please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need any other records that might assist you at this time,
                    Yours sincerely,
                    S. S.
                    Information Governance Manager

So, my last question to you, please, is do you think I should still mention it on my covering letter?

Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Hello again,

I seem to recall saying exactly the same thing some days ago, that I wouldn't have expected there to be any records of this going that far back. However, as previously noted in both our lawyer's response and the text quoted above, it's unlikely to affect the application.

Comment

Thanks! Do you think I should still mention it in my covering letter or not?

Comment

Thanks! Do you think I should still mention it in my covering letter or not?
                          Our lawyer has suggested doing so.

Comment

SUCCESS! How can I prove I am self sufficient for UK citizenship? - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Working...
                            X