>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it easier to apply for naturalisation with ILR or Settled Status?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it easier to apply for naturalisation with ILR or Settled Status?

Hi
    I am Spanish, married to a UK citizen in 1977, received ILR in 1978. I have lived in the UK ever since. Only away for short holidays or work trips. I intend to apply for naturalisation, but, as I understand it, I would have to show proof of not having been away from the UK since I received ILR. I don't think I have kept documentation for that long, although I have paid taxes and NI and can easily Access P45s for the past 6 years. Would it be easier to apply for Settled status where I just have to show I've been here for 5 years?
    Also, my UK identity is in my married name, whereas my Spanish passport is in my maiden name. Will this be a problem? I have my marriage certificate. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Nereida View Post
    Hi
    I am Spanish, married to a UK citizen in 1977, received ILR in 1978. I have lived in the UK ever since. Only away for short holidays or work trips. I intend to apply for naturalisation, but, as I understand it, I would have to show proof of not having been away from the UK since I received ILR. I don't think I have kept documentation for that long, although I have paid taxes and NI and can easily Access P45s for the past 6 years. Would it be easier to apply for Settled status where I just have to show I've been here for 5 years?
    Morning,

You will find the answer here: Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where it says:

PR card issued years ago or "old" ILR

It is recommended that you submit one item of evidence for each year since the date of issue of your PR card or ILR.

Although it is perfectly possible to apply with ILR issued decades ago, such as in the '70s and '80s (provided you have the old passports or residence documents with stamps or Home Office letter), you will be required to send evidence of ongoing residence since then, which may prove difficult. If you are unable to obtain the evidence, you may wish to apply for settled status and use that to apply for citizenship.
    Also, my UK identity is in my married name, whereas my Spanish passport is in my maiden name. Will this be a problem? I have my marriage certificate. Thanks in advance!
    Not sure what you mean by "UK identity", since the UK does not issue ID cards. You would be applying with your Spanish passport.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

One thing to note if applying for settled status is that only those married to a British citizen can apply for citizenship right after being granted settled status, anyone else would have to wait at least 12 months, as noted here: When can I naturalise? - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thank you
        With reference to my UK identity: My Driving licence, National Insurance, Tax records, bank accounts, bills, payroll, medical records, etc, etc, etc are in my married name. My Spanis passport is in my maiden name. The link between the two is my marriage certificate. Will this pose a problem with form filling, etc?

Comment

Thank you
          With reference to my UK identity: My Driving licence, National Insurance, Tax records, bank accounts, bills, payroll, medical records, etc, etc, etc are in my married name. My Spanis passport is in my maiden name. The link between the two is my marriage certificate. Will this pose a problem with form filling, etc?
          The online AN form does ask about previous names as well as current name, as noted here: Maiden names or other names on AN application - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

See also: Documents in various names - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...and this, for Spanish nationals: Spanish nationals and surname certificates - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X