Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Citizenship - need an adviser to help me with the application

Hello,

I am struggling to understand my personal requirements and what to do and provide with my citizenship application. I would like to find an adviser that could help me with an understanding of what to do and check my documents for my best chance to be approved. I already have been looking at a lot of information which left me feeling more and more overwhelmed and confused. I feel like I am struggling with it and help will be needed.

My quick story:
    Came to UK 2005 and never left.
    Received the PR in 2012
    Studied 2007 to 2010 and 2015-2016 at university and the second degree I had no EHIC or CSI. I have a few short gaps in employment but was on JSA or Housing benefit at the time.
    Have degree certificates as English proof and Life in the UK test etc.

Moreover, the referee signed my picture over a month ago, is this a problem? Do I need this to be done again?

Is there anyone who can help me with my application? I would be very grateful.

Marta

Originally posted by Martusha1985 View Post
    Hello,

I am struggling to understand my personal requirements and what to do and provide with my citizenship application. I would like to find an adviser that could help me with an understanding of what to do and check my documents for my best chance to be approved. I already have been looking at a lot of information which left me feeling more and more overwhelmed and confused. I feel like I am struggling with it and help will be needed.
    Morning,

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that, if applying with settled status, it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
    Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

If you have any specific questions after reading our resources, kindly post them up below and we'll do our best to answer them.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

My quick story:
      Came to UK 2005 and never left.
      Received the PR in 2012
      Studied 2007 to 2010 and 2015-2016 at university and the second degree I had no EHIC or CSI. I have a few short gaps in employment but was on JSA or Housing benefit at the time.

Were you working from 2010-2015?
      When you say employment gaps, does that refer to when you were studying from 2015-2016? Did you also work part-time?

Have degree certificates as English proof and Life in the UK test etc.

Moreover, the referee signed my picture over a month ago, is this a problem? Do I need this to be done again?

Is there anyone who can help me with my application? I would be very grateful.

We can help you with your questions here on the forum, but only a lawyer could help in a more personal manner, i.e. going through your documents, etc. in detail and, due to the time it would take to do all this, it could cost quite a bit.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Martusha1985 on a different note, since we aim for all our members to remain anonymous, I would have to ask you ...could you kindly change your profile photo? Many thanks. (Admin)

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will read all the guides you sent and try to follow.

Just to confirm I didn't yet apply for settled status and only hold PR.

1. Would I need EHIC or CSI if I had PR since 2012? Someone told me that I don't need it.

In 2015-2016 I was studying full-time and as far as I recall I wasn't working. I might, however, been employed with an event company on the 0-hour contract but I had no income from this employment as I only took a couple of shifts early on. I believe they might have kept me registered during the time I was studying. I will try to contact the company's HR team to check.

The gaps in employment have been after I graduated (2-3 months) and in 2018 (3 months) for when I was unemployed (seeking employment). Each time I was registered with JSA and council for housing benefit.

2. Does it matter that both of my parents live here also and both with settled status? Also, both were working at the time 2015/16 while I was studying and were paying national insurance. (not sure if that helps in any way).

Also, could my naturalisation affect my parents in any way? I have no kids or other family members here.

3. Lastly, my referee signed my picture over a month ago. I am planning to apply in a couple of weeks. Is this a problem? Do I need them to do it again?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post
            Martusha1985 on a different note, since we aim for all our members to remain anonymous, I would have to ask you ...could you kindly change your profile photo? Many thanks. (Admin)
            I have changed my avatar. Apologies.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will read all the guides you sent and try to follow.

Just to confirm I didn't yet apply for settled status and only hold PR.
              If you apply for citizenship before the end of the year you can use the PR card without settled status.

1. Would I need EHIC or CSI if I had PR since 2012? Someone told me that I don't need it.
              Once you have PR status there is no longer a requirement to work, exercise treaty rights, etc. so you can forget all about CSI.

In 2015-2016 I was studying full-time and as far as I recall I wasn't working. I might, however, been employed with an event company on the 0-hour contract but I had no income from this employment as I only took a couple of shifts early on. I believe they might have kept me registered during the time I was studying. I will try to contact the company's HR team to check.

The gaps in employment have been after I graduated (2-3 months) and in 2018 (3 months) for when I was unemployed (seeking employment). Each time I was registered with JSA and council for housing benefit.
              From what you say above, you acquired PR status since 2012, so none of this matters for the purpose of lawful residence.

If you look here: Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...it says:

Permanent residence

The updated guidance says:

If an EEA or Swiss national or their family member has a permanent residence card, you can accept that they were lawfully present in the UK for the 5 year period before it was issued, and have remained lawfully in the UK since then. This is provided they have not lost their permanent residence, for example by being out of the UK for more than 2 years. The application form asks the applicant to enter their permanent card number along with the date of issue. This will give you details of their legal stay in the UK.
              This means applicantsrelying on a PR card to apply do not need to provide evidence of having exercised treaty rights, unless they had lost PR status due to being out of the country for 2 years or longer.

Comment

2. Does it matter that both of my parents live here also and both with settled status? Also, both were working at the time 2015/16 while I was studying and were paying national insurance. (not sure if that helps in any way).
                Not relevant if you have PR status since 2012 as above.

Also, could my naturalisation affect my parents in any way? I have no kids or other family members here.
                Since they have settled status, they are not in any way, dependent on your for their status, so no, it doesn't affect them. Our warning regarding family members is for those who have family members living abroad and would like to bring them here in the future, or for those with non EU family members with pre-settled status.

3. Lastly, my referee signed my picture over a month ago. I am planning to apply in a couple of weeks. Is this a problem? Do I need them to do it again?
                I shouldn't think so.

Comment

I have changed my avatar. Apologies.
                  No need to apologise, you might have not known this and it is fine. Thank you.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Can I just say I am extremely grateful for all the time you are taking to explain things to me and help.

I definitely, wish to apply around 1st December this year.

Just to confirm if applying with PR I do not have to provide any documents such as employment letters, p60s, payslips for last 5 or 10 years to prove my residence or do I
                    ?

Just my PR document, life in the UK, references, degree certificates as English evidence, passport and is there anything else? I have a letter from HMRC with 5 years of employment and letter from with 15 years of NIN contributions.

Comment

Can I just say I am extremely grateful for all the time you are taking to explain things to me and help.

I definitely, wish to apply around 1st December this year.

Just to confirm if applying with PR I do not have to provide any documents such as employment letters, p60s, payslips for last 5 or 10 years to prove my residence or do I
                      ?

Just my PR document, life in the UK, references, degree certificates as English evidence, passport and is there anything else? I have a letter from HMRC with 5 years of employment and letter from with 15 years of NIN contributions.
                      Ok so the PR document will prove lawful residence, but in because you have received PR in 2012 this will not be sufficient to prove that you have been continuously resident in the UK up until you submit the citizenship application - in order to prove residence (which is a different requirement) please note from this post:

Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

PR card issued over 5 years ago (or 3 if married to a British spouse), or "old" ILR

It is recommended that you submit one item of evidence for each year since the date of issue of your PR card or ILR.

Although it is perfectly possible to apply with ILR issued decades ago, such as in the '70s and '80s (provided you have the old passports or residence documents with stamps or Home Office letter), you will be required to send evidence of ongoing residence since then, which may prove difficult. If you are unable to obtain the evidence, you may wish to apply for settled status and use that to apply for citizenship.

The relevant date for this purpose is the issue date printed on the PR card, not the date when PR status was acquired according to the Home Office decision letter.

Evidence of residence
                      • Your passports covering the 3 or 5 year period
                      AND
                      • Documentary evidence that indicates presence in the UK during the relevant 3 or 5 years. This can be in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments. A sample of these documents, at least one from each of the 3 or 5 years, should be submitted.
                      • Continued presence in the country can be shown by enclosing lists of attended appointments from GPs, dentist, physiotherapist, dental hygienist and hospital consultant (i.e. hospital appointments).
                      • Your children's school attendance records and letters confirming you drop them off and pick them up.
                      • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions made in the UK.
                      • A P60 from an employer would be equivalent to a letter from an employer and Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
                      Although the Home Office prefers official documents from government departments, if you are unable to provide them, or the other items on the list above, you can send anything that has your name, address and a date on it.

You may want to explain in your cover letter and/or additional information section of the form, why you are unable to provide their preferred evidence.

Because EEA nationals don't get their passports stamped in and out of the UK, the Home Office requires the additional evidence of residence.

In cases where the caseworker doesn't think enough evidence of residence has been provided, they would write back asking for it.

It is very important to send the requested evidence before the deadline given by the caseworker, to avoid a refusal.

If you are unable to provide additional evidence, you should write back explaining the situation and try to provide whatever you may have
                      Very important: ILR including Settled Status mandatory to apply for naturalisation - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Also please note: Filling in the AN form with PR or or ILR (including Settled Status) - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Martusha1985 Please make sure you read the following as well (which my colleague also provided above) - very important and the step by step guidance will help you hugely!

Ovierview of the citizenship process
                        Step-by-step guide....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that, if applying with settled status, it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
                        Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Thank you,

I will be reviewing all the information during the next two weeks. Please kindly get the post open in case I have more urgent questions. Thank you

Comment

May I please ask a question whether the following information has to be disclosed in my application:

In the nutshell:
                            I was travelling to work and lost my train ticket. The inspector who took my details and told me I will receive a letter where I will be able to explain. I have never received the letter, I believe it was lost by the post when pandemic started. 9 months later I got a letter about court hearing at Magistrates court. I contacted Thameslink train company straight away and explained, we agreed on 60 pounds and they emailed the court to withdraw the case. I have an email from the court saying that:

As discussed in our telephone conversation, I can confirm that the court was notified on xxxx by GTR that the case had been settled out of court and that they were withdrawing the matter.

This has now been updated on the court system and the adjourned date of xxxxx has been removed.

This matter is now considered closed by the court.

I this something that does have to be disclosed? It doesn't really match any of the categories and it wasn't a fixed penalty notice nor I had any letter saying I have a penalty to pay. I believe, the original letter was giving me a chance to explain myself but since I didn't receive it, it was sent to court.

I was reading all the guidance and I am unsure.

Would appreciate the help as trying to submit my application tomorrow.

Thank you very much,

Comment

Also, I am unsure about this question '"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?". I have applied and requested the basic electronic summary of your immigration history that Home Office hold on me and it was successful and sent to me. Is that what I mention in that question? The only other application I made in the past was PR status. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X