Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent residency versus settled status

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Query Permanent residency versus settled status

    Good morning!
    I came to the UK with my wife 16 years ago from the Czech Republic. Since 2016 we started to think about British citizenship. We applied and received permanent residency card, did the English test and Life in the UK test in 2018.(Btw, our older son has lived first 12 years in the UK and his application is in process, our younger one has received his British passport automatically). The finances were tight so we postponed our application. Now I have an offer for a good job back in the Czech Republic and it seems we will leave from the UK in 4 months. I have red somewhere that the application for citizenship can be refused if it is submitted when planning to leave. Would it be better to apply for settled status (exchange Permanent Residency) in our case as it can last up to 5 years from the time of leaving the country. Would the settled status guarantee a possibility to apply for citizenship in case we would return back in the UK in 3-4 years? Thank you for any information. Have a good day!

  • #2
    Originally posted by jurkybuchtik View Post
    Good morning!
    I came to the UK with my wife 16 years ago from the Czech Republic. Since 2016 we started to think about British citizenship. We applied and received permanent residency card, did the English test and Life in the UK test in 2018.(Btw, our older son has lived first 12 years in the UK and his application is in process, our younger one has received his British passport automatically). The finances were tight so we postponed our application. Now I have an offer for a good job back in the Czech Republic and it seems we will leave from the UK in 4 months. I have red somewhere that the application for citizenship can be refused if it is submitted when planning to leave.
    Afternoon,

    The application does ask where you intend to live and they'd expect it to be in the UK. Going abroad for a limited period of time doesn't mean you won't be coming back, and there's no travel restrictions once you have applied, however, you do need to be here for the biometrics appointment and then, once you get our decision, also for the ceremony, as they are no longer allowing ceremonies abroad. I very much doubt you'd get it within 4 months.

    Originally posted by jurkybuchtik View Post
    Would it be better to apply for settled status (exchange Permanent Residency) in our case as it can last up to 5 years from the time of leaving the country.
    You should definitely apply, as it allows up to 5 years out of the country and the clock does reset with a visit back to the UK as long as you have proper evidence. It's not really an exchange as such, the PR card number is only needed to avoid having to provide evidence of residence, you get to keep the card (as a souvenir).

    Originally posted by jurkybuchtik View Post
    Would the settled status guarantee a possibility to apply for citizenship in case we would return back in the UK in 3-4 years? Thank you for any information. Have a good day!
    Yes and no. Once you have settled status, you are able to use to apply at any time, however, you are only allowed a maximum of 450 days absent from the UK in the last 5 years and up to 90-100 days in the last 12 months, so you would have to wait till you can meet this criteria, which may be a few years, however, as settled status doesn't lapse unless you are away for more than 5 years without returning, you would still be able to come back to live here and enjoy full rights to everything on par with British citizens, save for voting rights.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment


    • #3
      We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

      ....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

      Comment


      • #4
        To apply for settled status, see: Applying with PR

        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you very much for all the information! We will apply for settled status with help of our PR documents. I will definitely send some contribution as you give assurance and help to proceed in the right direction. Although all the information is on the government website it is not always clear and easily understandable. Therefore your support makes things much easier. Have a good day!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jurkybuchtik View Post
            Thank you very much for all the information! We will apply for settled status with help of our PR documents. I will definitely send some contribution as you give assurance and help to proceed in the right direction. Although all the information is on the government website it is not always clear and easily understandable. Therefore your support makes things much easier. Have a good day!
            Oh thank you for your kind words and the donation, both very much appreciated!

            Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

            I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jurkybuchtik View Post
              Thank you very much for all the information! We will apply for settled status with help of our PR documents. I will definitely send some contribution as you give assurance and help to proceed in the right direction. Although all the information is on the government website it is not always clear and easily understandable. Therefore your support makes things much easier. Have a good day!
              Thanks for your kind words and contribution, much appreciated!

              I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

              Comment

              Working...
              X