Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT UPDATE

New Covid provisions for EU Settlement applications have been published. They include Provisions allowing an absence of over 12 months for people with pre-settled status, a provision for a second absence of up to 12 months and for choosing to spend time out of the UK over Covid related issues

See more
See less

Wrapping up the naturalisation application

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping up the naturalisation application

Hello,

Thank you very much to the site administrators and everyone involved - this forum is incredibly useful!

I am in the process of wrapping up my naturalisation application and I have a few pending questions for which I couldn't find an answer anywhere so I would appreciate some advice

1. I have been living in the UK for 8 years and a half and I have settled status as a EU citizen. Am I correct that I need to prove I lived here (using employer letters, bank statements etc) for the past 5 years only? I got a bit confused after reading in a different post that I'd need to do it for the past 10 years.

2. References - I have two referees who are both over 25 and UK citizens. One is a CEO (friend) and the other works as heads of department for a government-funded charity (my current manager). Would they both be eligible, and does it matter which one is referee 1 and which one is referee 2?
    On the reference letters, how do people proceed now (in the age of lockdown) with sticking the photos on the letter? Is it done electronically, or should I send them a photo of me via the post? Also, do they do a background search on the referees, does the Home Office call them, or are the letters sufficient?

3. Passport - do they only check the passport when I go to scan the documents and take the biometrics, or do they keep it they entire time while they assess the naturalisation application?

4. Timeline - does anyone have any idea what the rough waiting time is to hear back from the moment I submit my application OR my documents with UKVCAS?

Thank you in advance!

Originally posted by mshkanms View Post
    Hello,

Thank you very much to the site administrators and everyone involved - this forum is incredibly useful!

I am in the process of wrapping up my naturalisation application and I have a few pending questions for which I couldn't find an answer anywhere so I would appreciate some advice

1. I have been living in the UK for 8 years and a half and I have settled status as a EU citizen. Am I correct that I need to prove I lived here (using employer letters, bank statements etc) for the past 5 years only? I got a bit confused after reading in a different post that I'd need to do it for the past 10 years.
    Morning,

These are two separate requirements:
    1. List any employment in the last 10 years, this has been covered here: UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families and
    2. Provide evidence of residence for the last 5 years, as noted here: Evidence of residence
    So you only need to LIST any employment in the last 10 years but not provide evidnce, only for the last 5.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

2. References - I have two referees who are both over 25 and UK citizens. One is a CEO (friend) and the other works as heads of department for a government-funded charity (my current manager). Would they both be eligible,
      You may want to refer to this post: Referees - frequently asked questions - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:

Can my professional referee be [enter profession or occupation here]?

We are unable to tell you whether a specific referee will be accepted or not.

As long as they meet the criteria, they should be accepted, in the even they are not, they would get back to you asking for an alternative. So far, we have not seen this happen, so it can be assumed it doesn't happen often.

If you can't provide a referee who meets the professional criteria you may want to write a note in the cover letter to explain the situation.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

and does it matter which one is referee 1 and which one is referee 2?
        Yes, the AN form clearly indicates it, as also noted here: Who can be a referee? - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:

Your first referee

Referees must:
        • not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
        • not be related to the other referee
        • not be employed by the Home Office
        • know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
        • they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
        • advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
        Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:
        • it did not occur within the last 12 months
        • there is strong evidence showing that the referee is of good character
        Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)

Your second referee
        Give your second referee's details. This referee should be a person (of any nationality) who has professional standing. This can include a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).

See Professional Referees

Comment

On the reference letters, how do people proceed now (in the age of lockdown) with sticking the photos on the letter? Is it done electronically, or should I send them a photo of me via the post?
          They are not letters, they are declarations, which you will be able to download once you complete the form, and they are also found here: Entering referee details on the online AN form and referee declarations - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Direct links to referee declarations to be used with the online form: Please note that both forms are identical, each referee has to sign and date one of them, that's probably why two are provided.

As all documents will end up being uploaded in digital format, you should be able to scan or take a picture of your forms once you've affixed the photo to them, then send them by email to your referees who can then print them off, date and sign them. They can send them back either by post or email. In the end, you'll end up with a digital version to be uploaded.

Also, do they do a background search on the referees, does the Home Office call them, or are the letters sufficient?
          In some cases, they may do this, however, they don't contact them often from what I've heard.

Comment

3. Passport - do they only check the passport when I go to scan the documents and take the biometrics, or do they keep it they entire time while they assess the naturalisation application?
            A digital copy has to be uploaded and then the original is checked at the biometrics appointment and returned to you there and then.

4. Timeline - does anyone have any idea what the rough waiting time is to hear back from the moment I submit my application OR my documents with UKVCAS?
            Timings have always varied wildly, I've seen anything from a few weeks to nearly 18 months, and everything in between. You may want to take a look at our successes area to see what others have reported: Success stories - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that, if applying with settled status, it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
              Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Site Admin Hi and thanks for all the useful info you've sent! Sorry for the delay in getting back, I've put my application on hold but now I am ready to submit. I have one pending query and that is related to the Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI). In my case I've been:
                - student 2012-2016 and 2017-2018
                - employed on zero-hour contract 2012-2016 and 2017-2019
                - full employed 2016-2017 and 2019-current

As such, could you advice whether a CSI/ health insurance is needed? I am an EU citizen (insured in my home country) and I've been registered with the NHS since 2012 when I arrived in the UK. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Comment

Site Admin Hi and thanks for all the useful info you've sent! Sorry for the delay in getting back, I've put my application on hold but now I am ready to submit. I have one pending query and that is related to the Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI). In my case I've been:
                  - student 2012-2016 and 2017-2018
                  - employed on zero-hour contract 2012-2016 and 2017-2019
                  - full employed 2016-2017 and 2019-current

As such, could you advice whether a CSI/ health insurance is needed? I am an EU citizen (insured in my home country) and I've been registered with the NHS since 2012 when I arrived in the UK. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!
                  I am afraid health insurance to fulfill the requirement of CSI cannot be purchased retrospectively. But from what you wrote it seems to me that the last 5 years you have been employed full time. Please do read and consider carefully what is written in this post, as the matter has been covered extensively with help on one of our volunteer lawyers.

The good character guidance, treaty rights and CSI - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

ClaudLatina Thank you - could you point me/ let me know (in case you know) what is the allowed time per year/ month where I wouldn't need to be covered by a CSI (eg if I were employed for 9 months and the remaining 3 months I would be travelling abroad). And is it best to add info re CSI in the form, or else where could I add this to the cover letter?

Comment

ClaudLatina Thank you - could you point me/ let me know (in case you know) what is the allowed time per year/ month where I wouldn't need to be covered by a CSI (eg if I were employed for 9 months and the remaining 3 months I would be travelling abroad).
                      Evening,

If you look here: Unemployment, job seeking and gaps
                      ...you'll see:
                      Gaps of exercising treaty rights of up to six months, whether in or out of the country, are fine.

This is based on the EEA Regulations: The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016

3.—(1) This regulation applies for the purpose of calculating periods of continuous residence in the United Kingdom under these Regulations.
                      (2) Continuity of residence is not affected by—
                      (a) periods of absence from the United Kingdom which do not exceed six months in total in any year..

If you have been job hunting during this time, this is also a way of exercising treaty rights.

Once you have worked in the UK, you retain worker status for at least six months, it can be longer, depending on the circumstances.
                      As can be seen above, gaps under six months do not affect lawful residence and, if you were not in the UK, then you wouldn't have been exercising treaty rights anyway, regardless of having CSI or otherwise, since you can only exercise treaty rights while you are present in the host state. So it would always be a gap, but, as above, not a break in lawful residence.

Comment

And is it best to add info re CSI in the form, or else where could I add this to the cover letter?
                        There is no mention of CSI on the actual form other than in the checklist section where it only says that, if you were a student or self-sufficient during the relevant 3 or 5 year period and if you had CSI, you'd include a copy of the policy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LawfulResChecklistHilite.png Views:	4 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	59956
                        If you were working and your work can be regarded as genuine and effective, then CSI doesn't come into it.

You may also want to look here: Low earnings, part-time work and intermittent work

Comment

Site Admin thank you so much for your help - it seems I should;d be able to justify lack of CSI in a cover letter by explaining my situation in more detail.

Comment

Working...
                          X