X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAWYER RESPONSE Cautions

Hi. 26 months ago I received cannabis caution(simply police stop me with a one splif) that the only thing I done. Next month I want to apply for British Naturalisation. I been in UK 18 years and I'm good character. Is this caution will affect my application???

Originally posted by Giebe78 View Post
    Hi. 26 months ago I received cannabis caution(simply police stop me with a one splif) that the only thing I done. Next month I want to apply for British Naturalisation. I been in UK 18 years and I'm good character. Is this caution will affect my application???
    Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on this? Would you recommend waiting till it's been 3 years from the caution?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that, if applying with settled status, it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
      Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

one minor incident in the last 3 years can be disregarded. But it is very unclear if a drugs related caution would be disregarded. If you apply inside the 3 year period you will have to accept that there is a risk of refusal

I am an Immigration Adviser with Commonwealth Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Tim M for full details.

Comment

OK. So It means that safer is applie 3 years after any caution? Thank you. One more question. Do you know someone who applied with that coution before 3 years passed and received British Naturalisation???

Comment

OK. So It means that safer is applie 3 years after any caution?
            Yes, this is in line with the info provided in the Good Character Policy Guidance. See pages 17-22.

Thank you. One more question. Do you know someone who applied with that coution before 3 years passed and received British Naturalisation???
            I only know someone who applied with a drink driving conviction and was refused and told to apply once it had been three years, when the application was successful. I can't see a reason to rush when such as high fee is at stake. Bearing in mind you don't need to be British for any practical purposes, other than voting in GEs, and there's not likely to be one for a few years.

Comment

OK then, you right, no point to rush and I already have settlement status(2 years) I can wait one more year before applying for Naturalisation. Thank you very much for all your help.

Comment

Working...
              X