Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Citizenship application with expired passport

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some practical advice on the best was to deal with my application for British Citizenship.

I currently hold a spanish passport which was acquired through marriage and not by choice (as my country of birth Italy law stated at the time that I must take on my husband's nationality) and which has now expired. It took 9 months to finally get an appointment to renew but when I attended the appointment they refused to renew because I did not have an identity card. In addition, I now have 3 old passports with different surnames because each time I renewed they changed their policy on how the surname should appear. So I have:
    1 given name & maiden name
    2 given name & maiden name "de" husband's first surname
    3 given name & my father's surname & my mother's surname

My query is two-fold
    1. can I apply with an expired passport
    2. If my application is successful, can I request that the surname appears as just my maiden name (as in the very first passport I was issued)? Or is it best to just leave as is and then change by deed poll?

I will automatically lose my Spanish citizenship on receiving the UK one anyway and as that now the law in Italy has changed, I intend to apply to reacquire my Italian citizenship so having both UK & Italian with given name/maiden name makes more sense to me but unsure whether it would complicate things at application stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by JOBIT View Post
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some practical advice on the best was to deal with my application for British Citizenship.

I currently hold a spanish passport which was acquired through marriage and not by choice (as my country of birth Italy law stated at the time that I must take on my husband's nationality) and which has now expired. It took 9 months to finally get an appointment to renew but when I attended the appointment they refused to renew because I did not have an identity card. In addition, I now have 3 old passports with different surnames because each time I renewed they changed their policy on how the surname should appear. So I have:
    1 given name & maiden name
    2 given name & maiden name "de" husband's first surname
    3 given name & my father's surname & my mother's surname

My query is two-fold
    1. can I apply with an expired passport
    2. If my application is successful, can I request that the surname appears as just my maiden name (as in the very first passport I was issued)? Or is it best to just leave as is and then change by deed poll?

I will automatically lose my Spanish citizenship on receiving the UK one anyway and as that now the law in Italy has changed, I intend to apply to reacquire my Italian citizenship so having both UK & Italian with given name/maiden name makes more sense to me but unsure whether it would complicate things at application stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Afternoon,

As you say above, you'd lose your Spanish citizenship, since Spain doesn't usually allow dual nationality to people who were not born Spanish, with a few exceptions where the other citizenship is with one of their ex-colonies in Latin America. For that reason, we can't really recommend applying for British citizenship when someone would lose their own citizenship, bearing in mind there is no requirement to be British for any practical purposes, other than being able to vote, which hardly warrants losing one's own nationality.

It is also not very clear from the above whether you have Italian citizenship, you say you intend to apply to re-acquire it, in which case, I'd strongly recommend getting this sorted out before applying for British citizenship, you want to make sure you have at least one of those EU citizenships, since British citizenship isn't going to give you any of the advantages of EU citizenship, and settled status is all you need to live in the UK with full rights on the same terms as British citizens.

You also need to have a valid passport to make the application, from what you say, you haven't even got a valid ID card. I'd it would be a good idea to sort all this out while you think about the potential consequences of becoming British.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X