Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working as employee and self employed

Hi,

I am applying to the British Citizenship with AN Naturalisation and I have a question about previous work as an employee and being self employed.

I am a Spanish person with Settle Status since 2019. I have been working since I moved to the UK:

From 2013 to 2016 I worked as an Au pair at the same time that I was doing an unpaid internship (I´m not including any of them in the form)

Since 2016, I have been working as employee for companies and paying my taxes. I have asked for a letter with my employment history from HM Revenue & Custom as a proof of that.

Last year, I registered as self employed (at the same time I was working as employee) and was given a UTR number. However, I never carried out any work through self employment. A few months ago, I called HM Revenue & Customs to notify them that I didn´t do any self employed work and to close my account. I have received a letter confirming that I don´t need to do the Self Assessment (5th August 2021). Obviously, I have not received any benefits or grants.

The letter from HM Revenue & Custom and my employment history (received 2nd August 2021) mentioned all the companies but nothing about my self employment.

My question is, do I need to add that information to the area of my previous work because I registered, even though I didn´t actually work being self employed?

Thank you for your help,

Best Wishes

Originally posted by andalusian21 View Post
    Hi,

I am applying to the British Citizenship with AN Naturalisation and I have a question about previous work as an employee and being self employed.

I am a Spanish person with Settle Status since 2019. I have been working since I moved to the UK:

From 2013 to 2016 I worked as an Au pair at the same time that I was doing an unpaid internship (I´m not including any of them in the form)
    Afternoon,

That sounds fine, since au-pair arrangements are not regarded as employment, since the au-pair only receives room, board and pocket money as opposed to a salary.

Since 2016, I have been working as employee for companies and paying my taxes. I have asked for a letter with my employment history from HM Revenue & Custom as a proof of that.

Last year, I registered as self employed (at the same time I was working as employee) and was given a UTR number. However, I never carried out any work through self employment. A few months ago, I called HM Revenue & Customs to notify them that I didn´t do any self employed work and to close my account. I have received a letter confirming that I don´t need to do the Self Assessment (5th August 2021). Obviously, I have not received any benefits or grants.

The letter from HM Revenue & Custom and my employment history (received 2nd August 2021) mentioned all the companies but nothing about my self employment.

My question is, do I need to add that information to the area of my previous work because I registered, even though I didn´t actually work being self employed?
    If you never earned any money as self-employed, then there is no need to mention this, the idea behind asking for your employment history is in case they decide to check that any taxes due were paid up. If there was no income from self-employment, there's no need to mention it.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
      Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hi!

I hope you are all well.

Thank you so much for answer my previous question. After spent a few days surfing the forum, I am now finishing my application form and preparing myslef to pay and upload the documents. So, I am very happy and grateful for your amazing effort. You are making my process much better.

Before finish the form and upload the documents, I have a couple of questions.

I am applying for AN Naturalisation, I am EEA national (Spanish), I came in 2013 and worked as Au pair for nearly 3 years. Since 1/3/2016 I have been working as employee until now, I have settle status since July 2019. I did the language exam with Trinity College London and passed the Life in the UK. I have my 2 referees forms ready too.
        So the documents they are asking me are the following

Documents
        From the list of documents below, provide as many as you can. Tick each document to confirm that you have read the requirement, even if you cannot send it. If you are unsure about any of the evidence, read the guidance.
        • The passport issued by Spain for andalusian21
        • @andalusian21 's proof of Nationality
        You must include your:
        passport or EEA national identity card
        UK permanent residence card
        evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions

You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
        • @andalusian21 's certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher (...)
        • Proof of living in the UK for andalusian21 for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
        • Two referee declarations for andalusian21

I have a few questions about 2 of them:

The second check " proof of Nationality" is not very clear because I already said I don´t have a permanent residence card so, not sure about the sentence " You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card" Any idea why?

As " Evidence of Nationality" I was thinking to add the following documents to this file:
        • Currently passport (do I need to upload it twice? "Proof of Application" and "Proof of Identity"?)
        • Spanish ID Card
        • Previous expired passport valid until 2018
        • Settle Status - Status Outcome 09 July 2019
        • View your immigration status – GOV.UK (print version)
        • View your immigration status – GOV.UK (screenshot)
        Is that enough?

About the check "Proof of living in the UK for andalusian21 for 5 years", do I need to explain something about the period from 2013 until 2016 (before the last 5 years)?, I read about the "Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status" in the forum but not sure if I need to explain that I was lawful here before have the settle status in 2019.

As "Proof of living in the UK for 5 years" I was thinking to add the following document:
        • Work Contract from my previously company from 1/3/2016 to 30/09/2016
        • Work Contract from my currently company from 10/10/2016 until now
        • The letter from HM Revenue & Custom and my last 5 years employment history (received last month)
        Is that enough? do you recommend me to add something more?

Also, I want to write a Cover letter explaining which documents I am uploading as proof of the different checkbox. Do you recommend me to mention there something about my previous 3 years as au pair? I had a contract as au pair too that I can add, and bank statements since the first week of living here.

Thank you very much for your help

Best Regards

andalusian21

Comment

Hi!

I hope you are all well.

Thank you so much for answer my previous question. After spent a few days surfing the forum, I am now finishing my application form and preparing myslef to pay and upload the documents. So, I am very happy and grateful for your amazing effort. You are making my process much better.
          Afteronoon,

Lovely to have been of help!

Before finish the form and upload the documents, I have a couple of questions.

I am applying for AN Naturalisation, I am EEA national (Spanish), I came in 2013 and worked as Au pair for nearly 3 years. Since 1/3/2016 I have been working as employee until now, I have settle status since July 2019. I did the language exam with Trinity College London and passed the Life in the UK. I have my 2 referees forms ready too.

I've moved your post to your previous thread to keep it all together.

Comment

So the documents they are asking me are the following

Documents
            From the list of documents below, provide as many as you can. Tick each document to confirm that you have read the requirement, even if you cannot send it. If you are unsure about any of the evidence, read the guidance.
            • The passport issued by Spain for andalusian21
            • @andalusian21 's proof of Nationality
            You must include your:
            passport or EEA national identity card
            UK permanent residence card
            evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions

You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
            I just can't believe they haven't updated that part of the form, since it's been a while since PR cards are not even accepted!

Luckily we have covered that here: Filling in the AN form with PR or or ILR (including Settled Status) - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:

document checklist

Please note that the checklist generated by the form refers to this as "Freedom from immigration time restrictions". Proof of ILR, including settled status is proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions.

At the time of writing, the checklist may also still say: "you must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship ..apply for a permanent resident card." This is a leftover from the days when all EEA nationals and family members needed a PR card to apply, before we had settled status. This is an oversight on their part, although the AN form was updated to allow for settled status details to be provided, the checklist has yet to be updated to reflect this.

Evidence of settled status, such as the PDF of the decision letter or a screenshot of the settled status record should be provided.

Even though both the letter and the onscreen record will say they are not proof of status, this relates to proving status to third parties like landlords and employers, in this case, the application is submitted to the Home Office, who will be able to check their own records and verify the status.

Comment

• @andalusian21 's certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher (...)
              • Proof of living in the UK for andalusian21 for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
              • Two referee declarations for andalusian21

I have a few questions about 2 of them:

The second check " proof of Nationality" is not very clear because I already said I don´t have a permanent residence card so, not sure about the sentence " You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card" Any idea why?
              Yes, they simply haven't update the form! As above.

Proof of nationality IS your passport.

As " Evidence of Nationality" I was thinking to add the following documents to this file:
              • Currently passport (do I need to upload it twice? "Proof of Application" and "Proof of Identity"?)
              • Spanish ID Card
              • Previous expired passport valid until 2018
              • Settle Status - Status Outcome 09 July 2019
              • View your immigration status – GOV.UK (print version)
              • View your immigration status – GOV.UK (screenshot)
              Is that enough?
              You only need the passport, upload only once, even when it's listed separately as two items.

No need for ID card if you said you have a valid passport.

Only one proof of settled status is required, if you have your letter, that should do the trick, as per my previous posts.

Comment

About the check "Proof of living in the UK for andalusian21 for 5 years", do I need to explain something about the period from 2013 until 2016 (before the last 5 years)?, I read about the "Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status" in the forum but not sure if I need to explain that I was lawful here before have the settle status in 2019.
                No, as previously discussed, since you only need evidence of residence and lawful residence for the last 5 years.

As "Proof of living in the UK for 5 years" I was thinking to add the following document:
                • Work Contract from my previously company from 1/3/2016 to 30/09/2016
                • Work Contract from my currently company from 10/10/2016 until now
                • The letter from HM Revenue & Custom and my last 5 years employment history (received last month)
                Work contracts don't really proof residence, since they only show the employment start date but not how long you were working there, so you're better off with the employment history.

Is that enough? do you recommend me to add something more?
                If you have proof of employment for the last 5 years, that should cover both evidence of residence and lawful residence.

Also, I want to write a Cover letter explaining which documents I am uploading as proof of the different checkbox. Do you recommend me to mention there something about my previous 3 years as au pair? I had a contract as au pair too that I can add, and bank statements since the first week of living here.
                You don't really need to mention anything over 5 years ago, as per my comments above.

Comment

Working...
                X