Peace and Solidarity

Announcement

Collapse

THIS FORUM IS NOW CLOSED

If you would like to see this valuable resource remain open as a respoitory, we need your help with the cost of hosting it: Help us keep this site online

Unfortunately our funding came to an end. We achieved what we set out to do since 2016, which was to help as many people as possible, to secure their status here in the UK after Brexit. It was a great pleasure to be here for all of you during all these years and to share the joy of all your success stories. Each and every success made our day, as did your support and very kind words.

See more
See less

Applying for naturalisation

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info required Applying for naturalisation

Hi. I have been in the UK since the 24th of November 2014. I have worked part-time for a few years and it was cash in hand. In 2017 I have been out of the UK for more than 6 months. A year and a half ago I applied for settled status and I was granted pre-settled and I uploaded my bank statements as a proof and I got settled status. In the last 4 years I have been working full time and I have as an evidence P60s. If i apply for citizenship do you think these absences and period which i worked cash in hand might come up as an issue ? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by gundoan View Post
    Hi. I have been in the UK since the 24th of November 2014. I have worked part-time for a few years and it was cash in hand. In 2017 I have been out of the UK for more than 6 months. A year and a half ago I applied for settled status and I was granted pre-settled and I uploaded my bank statements as a proof and I got settled status. In the last 4 years I have been working full time and I have as an evidence P60s. If i apply for citizenship do you think these absences and period which i worked cash in hand might come up as an issue ? Thanks in advance.
    Afternoon,

The criteria for citizenship is different from the one for settled status, which is based on spending at least 6 months out of every 12, in the UK. For the citizenship application, it doesn't matter how long an individual absence was, as long as you didn't have more than 450-480 days absent in the last 5 years and 90-100 days in the last 12 months.

Do bear in mind you also need to have had settled status for at least 12 months unless you are married to a British spouse, from what I see above, it's not clear to me when you were granted settled status. Would you be able to clarify this point, as it is very important, I have already seen refusals over this and the fee is non refundable.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

You may want to refer to the following resources which are the starting point for citizenship applications:If you are an EEA national, you may also want to consider the potential impact of becoming British if you wish to sponsor family members in the future: Impact on family members

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

Hi, Its been a year and half since I have got my settled status. If I understood correctly your comment it is fine that I had been absent in 2017 more than 6 months outside of UK ? Am I right ? I can prove the last 4 years residency with P60s but for the period before that do u think they will accept bank statements , spendings as a proof that I had been here? Shall i wait another year just to play it safe ? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by gundoan View Post
          Hi, Its been a year and half since I have got my settled status. If I understood correctly your comment it is fine that I had been absent in 2017 more than 6 months outside of UK ? Am I right ? I can prove the last 4 years residency with P60s but for the period before that do u think they will accept bank statements , spendings as a proof that I had been here? Shall i wait another year just to play it safe ? Thanks in advance.
          Morning,

As noted above, if you meet the overall criteria regarding the maximum number of allowed absences, then it doesn't matter if they were consecutive, i.e. a single long absence, or many little ones. Just make sure you were here on the day you apply, back in 2017, as noted here: The residence requirement

...where we have:
          You need to have been physically present in the UK:
          • 3 years ago on the date you submit your citizenship application if you are married to a British citizen at the time of your application; or
          • 5 years ago if not married to a British citizen.
          The relevant date is defined on page 14 of the Nationality Policy:

To identify the start of the qualifying period you use the day after the application date minus the length of the qualifying period. For example in an application under section 6(1) made on 1 March 2016, the applicant must have been legally in the UK on 2 March 2011.

A similar principle would apply to applications on the basis of marriage, where the qualifying period is 3 years rather than 5.

The relevant date is not the date of the UKVCAS appointment.

Comment

You will need to list all trips abroad, including this one, on the relevant part of the form. Obviously if you weren't here during that time, you wouldn't be expected to provide evidence of being here, i.e., evidence of residence.

Comment

Working...
            X