Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual citizenship ceremonies - feedback please!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member comments welcome Virtual citizenship ceremonies - feedback please!

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please share their experiences with regards to online citizenship ceremonies?
    How was it managed?
    Is the 6-months grace period still in place to complete a ceremony?
    What questions did they ask from you?
    Did you have to show your passport & invitation/approval letter?
    Did they really ask you if you were physically present in the UK?
    How long did it take?
    Which Council offered your virtual ceremony?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by lev32 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Can anyone please share their experiences with regards to online citizenship ceremonies?
    How was it managed?
    How long did it take?

Morning,

I've moved your post to to our Ceremonies Waiting Lounge, where you'll find a number of members still waiting for their ceremony.

Not everyone has had a virtual one and, with lockdown ending on Monday, they will probably go back to live ceremonies, but this varies from council to council.

You will also find a lot of discussion around the issue of being physically present in the UK, do take a look round: Ceremonies Waiting Lounge - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hello everyone,

How was it managed?
      How long did it take?

I can't help you much because I haven't had mine yet and I would like to know this too as I'm planning to be in my pyjamas , I don't want to make an effort since they are making me wait over 3 months to have the ceremony , so to answer your question about the 6 months I guess so because the date they booked me as they earliest date available is 3 months after the date on my letter (even if my letter the ceremony has to be taken within 3 months)
      My council is Hounslow , they are only doing virtual

Comment

Hi Borderline - yes, totally understand you, this whole ceremony process is a pain in the back side for everyone who are in the same situation as we are. So I can't blame you that you're sick and tired too.
        Mrs P P should maybe try to think outside the box a bit and understand that the pandemic is not over yet and for a lot of candidates it is not that manageable to complete the ceremony in the way she thinks..

Comment

Originally posted by Borderline View Post

I can't help you much because I haven't had mine yet and I would like to know this too as I'm planning to be in my pyjamas , I don't want to make an effort since they are making me wait over 3 months to have the ceremony , so to answer your question about the 6 months I guess so because the date they booked me as they earliest date available is 3 months after the date on my letter (even if my letter the ceremony has to be taken within 3 months)
          My council is Hounslow , they are only doing virtual
          Hi Borderline - yes, totally understand you, this whole ceremony process is a pain in the back side for everyone who are in the same situation as we are. So I can't blame you that you're sick and tired too.
          Mrs P P should maybe try to think outside the box a bit and understand that the pandemic is not over yet and for a lot of candidates it is not that manageable to complete the ceremony in the way she thinks..
          Morning,

Do bear in mind that the road map produced by the government is likley to have an impact on this. The infamous "stay home" orders have finally now been lifted, and in less than two weeks time, all shops will reopen. As far as I'm aware, some councils were still doing ceremonies in the normal way during this very long lockdown period, so they were not barred from doing live ceremonies by the government guidelines. Each council is responsible for making their own arrangements, rather than the Home Office, they just print the certificates and forward them to the relevant council.

The situation is fluid and you need to check with your local authority.

As you will be on camera, I wouldn't recommend being in your pyjamas just because you had to wait. Just saying...

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

As you will be on camera, I wouldn't recommend being in your pyjamas just because you had to wait. Just saying...
            Hi,

please could you elaborate on this please? does it really matter to them what I am wearing ? they would only see my head and shoulders anyway, or do they ask you to get up ?

Comment

Hi,

please could you elaborate on this please? does it really matter to them what I am wearing ? they would only see my head and shoulders anyway, or do they ask you to get up ?
              Well, how much they can see of the rest of you would depend on the exact positioning of the camera and yourself, during most online meetings, you could clearly see if someone was in their pyjamas even without getting up! And I'd never consider not changing into day clothes for an online meeting to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post
                Well, how much they can see of the rest of you would depend on the exact positioning of the camera and yourself, during most online meetings, you could clearly see if someone was in their pyjamas even without getting up! And I'd never consider not changing into day clothes for an online meeting to be honest.
                true but I'm doing it on purpose plus they are nice silky pyjamas but they won't see much anyway, My camera only shows head and shoulders

Comment

Hello everyone,

How was it managed?
                  How long did it take?

I had my ceremony via Teams with Blackburn with Darwen council today.
                  When they offered me this date, I was sent an email with a link to join the ceremony and with the oath/affirmation and the pledge plus other info of what is required.

Once I joined in, I had to show the invitation letter and picture ID (I used my driving licence).

They did ask me if I was physically in the UK.

We went through the ceremony and I read my bits. She then congratulated me on becoming a citizen and we listened to the first verse of the national anthem.

It took approx. 8 minutes

I wore a nicer top and had washed my hair today, even a tiny bit of make-up to make it a more of an event ​​​​​​​. Still wore my lounge pants though...

Comment

Originally posted by Jenz View Post

When they offered me this date, I was sent an email with a link to join the ceremony and with the oath/affirmation and the pledge plus other info of what is required.

Once I joined in, I had to show the invitation letter and picture ID (I used my driving licence).

We went through the ceremony and I read my bits. She then congratulated me on becoming a citizen and we listened to the first verse of the national anthem.

I wore a nicer top and had washed my hair today, even a tiny bit of make-up to make it a more of an event . Still wore my lounge pants though...
                    Thanks for this.
                    Was it just you and the person from the council or was it a group ceremony?
                    ​​​​​​​I don't even know if mine is private or group, they didn't tell me

Comment

Thanks for this.
                      I don't even know if mine is private or group, they didn't tell me
                      It was just me and the registrar

Comment

Thanks for this.
                        I don't even know if mine is private or group, they didn't tell me
                        Forgot to mention that they never told me either whether it was private or group but I assumed private since information sent to me said it would only take up to 15 minutes

Comment

Morning,

Lovely to hear this and thanks for sharing.

I've been saying this all along, that they could well ask this question.

I wore a nicer top and had washed my hair today, even a tiny bit of make-up to make it a more of an event ​​​​​​​. Still wore my lounge pants though...
                          Nobody would have seen your pants...

HAPPY EASTER!

Comment

Forgot to mention that they never told me either whether it was private or group but I assumed private since information sent to me said it would only take up to 15 minutes
                            Thank you , Yes my email says 15 minutes or less so I guess now it will be private as well

Comment

Working...
                            X