X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member comments welcome Ceremony abroad - married to British citizen

Well I was successful in my application for citizenship! Received the letter end of January, having applied at the end of August.
    My situation is somewhat different, as I have dual French and Canadian nationality, am married to a British citizen, and moved to Germany after applying for citizenship. I had settled status, but applied as a spouse of a British citizen. During the application process I did say I would like the ceremony in Munich, my closest possibility for the ceremony.
    I have changed my address with UKVI, but have not received an invitation to the ceremony yet.
    Does anyone know if a) citizenship ceremonies are taking place, b) what has been the time frame for someone in my situation and c) is it possible to contact anyone regarding this (without paying the outrageous telephone/email fees!)
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Originally posted by Mazda View Post
    Well I was successful in my application for citizenship! Received the letter end of January, having applied at the end of August.
    Hello again,

This is your success thread: Link

My situation is somewhat different, as I have dual French and Canadian nationality, am married to a British citizen, and moved to Germany after applying for citizenship. I had settled status, but applied as a spouse of a British citizen. During the application process I did say I would like the ceremony in Munich, my closest possibility for the ceremony.
    I've copied this post to our ceremonies waiting lounge where a number of people have been discussing similar issues.

So far, the Home Office has been refusing requests to have ceremonies abroad, as you will see in this part of the forum, however, there have been exceptions for those married to a British spouse, since they don't need to satisfy the future intentions requirement, that is, the intention to continue living in the UK, which has been put into question when applying for a ceremony abroad.

I have changed my address with UKVI, but have not received an invitation to the ceremony yet.
    Does anyone know if a) citizenship ceremonies are taking place,
    Yes, they have been taking place all along, even during the last two lockdowns, however, everything has now reopened in the UK and they are doing group ceremonies again. But things may be different in Germany.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

b) what has been the time frame for someone in my situation and c) is it possible to contact anyone regarding this (without paying the outrageous telephone/email fees!)
      Thanks in advance for your help!
      I'm not sure what phone and email fees you are referring to, the ob$cene phone charges are for ringing UKVCAS, who have nothing to do with ceremonies, the paid emails are for contacting TLS regarding visa applications submitted from abroad. Emails to the Home Office nationality team are free and we have the following Nationality team emails:

nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

CT3CaseworkEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

My colleague indicated his UK city of residence for ceremony, but by the time he was approved he moved abroad (temporary but long term job secondment from UK employer). He is married to UK citizen.
        He received invitation for ceremony at his original city choice, contacted HO, and they approved the change to ceremony abroad. That was in late February - early March. A few days ago UK embassy in France invited him for ceremony to be held on June 9.

Comment

Ok. Thank you all for your input! I have just received today an invitation to a virtual ceremony for tomorrow, using Microsoft Teams. It’s almost as if the British Embassy in Berlin sensed my frustrations. Hopefully I will be able to get past any IT issues between the famously unreliable German connectivity and my less than adequate computer literacy!

Comment

Ok. Thank you all for your input! I have just received today an invitation to a virtual ceremony for tomorrow, using Microsoft Teams. It’s almost as if the British Embassy in Berlin sensed my frustrations. Hopefully I will be able to get past any IT issues between the famously unreliable German connectivity and my less than adequate computer literacy!
            Brilliant news! Well done!

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
            X