X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding referees for naturalization application

Hello. Thank you for this forum. I really appreciate it.

I've been looking at the referees section and I'm not sure what it means by "they should not be related to you". Does that mean in a family sense, or in any capacity such as frienship?

For example I have two friends who are people of standing (dr and nurse). Would they be able to act as referees if they have known me for two years?

Thank you!

Originally posted by megashibainu View Post
    Hello. Thank you for this forum. I really appreciate it.

I've been looking at the referees section and I'm not sure what it means by "they should not be related to you". Does that mean in a family sense, or in any capacity such as frienship?
    Afternoon

Friendship is NOT being related.

You may want to refer to this post: Referees - frequently asked questions - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:
    Can we be regarded as related?

Referees could be regarded as "related" even when they are not blood relations, such in the following circumstances:

People who are in a relationship, whether they live together or not, i.e. boyfriends, girlfriends and unmarried partners

Relatives of your partner

You should provide a referee who does not fall into these categories.

Can my professional referee be [enter profession or occupation here]?

We are unable to tell you whether a specific referee will be accepted or not.

As long as they meet the criteria, they should be accepted, in the even they are not, they would get back to you asking for an alternative. So far, we have not seen this happen, so it can be assumed it doesn't happen often.

If you can't provide a referee who meets the professional criteria you may want to write a note in the cover letter to explain the situation

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by megashibainu View Post
      For example I have two friends who are people of standing (dr and nurse). Would they be able to act as referees if they have known me for two years?
      You also need to look at this other post: Who can be a referee? - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:
      Your first referee

Referees must:
      • not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
      • not be related to the other referee
      • not be employed by the Home Office
      • know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
      • they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
      • advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
      Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:
      • it did not occur within the last 12 months
      • there is strong evidence showing that the referee is of good character
      Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)

Your second referee

Give your second referee's details. This referee should be a person (of any nationality) who has professional standing. This can include a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that, if applying with settled status, it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
        Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Working...
        X