Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAWYER RESPONSE Referees

Hello

I would like to apply for UK citizenship but I don t know anybody who will fit the referee criteria .
    All people with whom I am communicating on a daily basis are from different EU countries and all of them are my colleagues.
    I am working in manufacturing as a food production operative therefore my coworkers don t fit the professional referees criteria.
    Also due to my lifestyle ( I prefer to stay at home in my free time rather then get outside and communicate with people ) I don t know anybody who is 25+ years old and hold British passport
    Which options do I have in this situation ? Should I provide the referees in anyways or it is possible to explain to home office that I am not able to find anybody due to my lifestyle ?
    Thank you for you answer in advance

Originally posted by gers861 View Post
    Hello

I would like to apply for UK citizenship but I don t know anybody who will fit the referee criteria .
    All people with whom I am communicating on a daily basis are from different EU countries and all of them are my colleagues.
    I am working in manufacturing as a food production operative therefore my coworkers don t fit the professional referees criteria.
    Also due to my lifestyle ( I prefer to stay at home in my free time rather then get outside and communicate with people ) I don t know anybody who is 25+ years old and hold British passport
    Which options do I have in this situation ? Should I provide the referees in anyways or it is possible to explain to home office that I am not able to find anybody due to my lifestyle ?
    Thank you for you answer in advance
    Afternoon,

You may want to look here: Professional referees - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:

The Home Office has said the following in response to enquiries regarding referees:

Note the list is not an exhaustive list; therefore, an individual’s profession may not be listed as acceptable although they may fall under the category of a person of any nationality who is of professional standing or a member of a professional association. If the caseworker is not satisfied with your referee, they may request another.

Furthermore, a referee who is a professional person should have had dealings with the applicant otherwise than in a professional capacity. However, we would expect there to have been regular face-to-face contact between the applicant and his or her referees over the three-year period, such that both referees could confidently assert that the photograph submitted with the form was a true likeness of the person making the application.

Referees should also be prepared to inform us of anything known to them about the applicant that might cast doubt on his or her eligibility for British citizenship, but it is accepted that referees will not necessarily be aware of any disqualifying factor or characteristic, particularly where their dealings with the applicant were solely in a professional capacity.

The requirement to nominate suitably-qualified referees is not a statutory one, and where it presents genuine difficulty for an applicant on account of his or her lifestyle or other circumstances this should be explained in the space provided for additional information on the application form.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Having said that, the above only refers to the qualifications of the professional referee, rather than not being able to provide a referee with a British passport.

Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on whether there is any flexibility regarding this requirement?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

• Tim M
        Tim M commented
        Editing a comment
        yes there is. Try to provide the best 2 referees you can and explain why you cannot provide a British citizen referee

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Please note that it may also be necessary to show you were exercising treaty rights for the previous 3 or 5 years, as noted here:
      Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

gers861 Please note the lawyer's response
        Tim M commented
        09-07-2021, 11:38 AM
        yes there is. Try to provide the best 2 referees you can and explain why you cannot provide a British citizen referee

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
        X