Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-employed but never had a CSI

Hello there,
    I am in the process of applying for a British citizenship before BREXIT as I do want the dual citizenship UK-Germany. When checking the requirements and asking on Facebook about my own checklist I found out, that I need a CSI or/and EHIC card.

About me:
    I moved to London in August 2014 as a live-in aupair and shortly after started to work another freelance job on the side. I am working as a self-employed person ever since (October 2014) and had/have one main client plus other smaller ones these last 6 years. I have not had a single months where I was unemployed or had no clients as my main client will give me a “3 months warning” which we agreed on before I worked for them. 6 years of tax returns from HMRC, no unpaid bills etc.. Got my settled status in April 2019 and bought my own part of a share-to-buy apartment here in London.

Now I am getting worried as I’ve never even heard about a CSI and was only insured by my mother for a period of time (2014-2015 as I thought after the year as an au-pair I might go back to Germany), till I officially did not live in Germany anymore.

Now my questions:
    Do I need to worry my applications won’t be accepted because of the lack of CSI? But as I haven’t even been unemployed and paid all bills/taxes on time was it necessary? I am in the middle of getting all my stuff together but obviously don't want to risk losing the application fee.

All the best, Liv

Originally posted by LivHema View Post
    Hello there,
    I am in the process of applying for a British citizenship before BREXIT as I do want the dual citizenship UK-Germany. When checking the requirements and asking on Facebook about my own checklist I found out, that I need a CSI or/and EHIC card.

About me:
    I moved to London in August 2014 as a live-in aupair and shortly after started to work another freelance job on the side. I am working as a self-employed person ever since (October 2014) and had/have one main client plus other smaller ones these last 6 years. I have not had a single months where I was unemployed or had no clients as my main client will give me a “3 months warning” which we agreed on before I worked for them. 6 years of tax returns from HMRC, no unpaid bills etc.. Got my settled status in April 2019 and bought my own part of a share-to-buy apartment here in London.

Now I am getting worried as I’ve never even heard about a CSI and was only insured by my mother for a period of time (2014-2015 as I thought after the year as an au-pair I might go back to Germany), till I officially did not live in Germany anymore.

Now my questions:
    Do I need to worry my applications won’t be accepted because of the lack of CSI? But as I haven’t even been unemployed and paid all bills/taxes on time was it necessary? I am in the middle of getting all my stuff together but obviously don't want to risk losing the application fee.

All the best, Liv
    Morning,

There's a lot of confusion surrounding this issue thanks to the media making it sound like a blanket requirement, it is not.

CSI is only required for periods spent as a student or a self-sufficient person, it has never been required for self-employed people nor workers.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Now we have got the infamous CSI out of the way, you may want to look here: Requirements for self-employed people

...where you'll see:
      If you are self-employed when you apply, you need to provide only the most recent HMRC self-assessment statement of account for this purpose.

Although there is no need to submit earlier ones for this purpose, you may still want to submit them if you are applying with settled status and need to prove lawful residence in the last 5 years, as noted here: Lawful residence for applicants relying on settled status for citizenship

You need to send the SA300 or SA302

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the help x

Comment

Working...
          X