Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof of lawful residence for citizenship with married to Brit and with settled status

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At risk Proof of lawful residence for citizenship with married to Brit and with settled status

Hello -I had a look but couldn't find an answer anywhere, including the whole of Google...

I have applied for my citizenship and I have to take proof of lawful residence. I am married to a British citizen and have settled status (EU Finland) (the form was confusing so not sure which one I applied under).
    My questions:
    =3/5yr period does it need to be continuous? Does it need to be during marriage or at any time of your residence? Does it have to be the 3/5yrs leading up to your application?
    =what specific documents would qualify as proof for lawful residence?
    =am I right in thinking that I still need to prove my lawful residence despite having already done so for my settled status?

I have lived in the country since 1998 yet I couldn't even find enough evidence to qualify for benefits -the only reason why I managed settled status was because they evoked the continuous clause.
    I studied for 9 years without comprehensive sickness insurance and although I have worked through most of, it's not continuous, and I have been a stay-at-home mum since 2010. There is practically no evidence of my existence since my husband pays the bills.
    The only evidence (continuous) I would have is
    bank statements
    child benefit

So in order to make sure I have all the documents I need to make it worthwhile paying £1349.20, I would really appreciate some confirmation as to what kind of thing I need. Thank you so much in advance!

Originally posted by howthecrowflies View Post
    Hello -I had a look but couldn't find an answer anywhere, including the whole of Google...

I have applied for my citizenship and I have to take proof of lawful residence. I am married to a British citizen and have settled status (EU Finland) (the form was confusing so not sure which one I applied under).
    My questions:
    =3/5yr period does it need to be continuous? Does it need to be during marriage or at any time of your residence? Does it have to be the 3/5yrs leading up to your application?
    =what specific documents would qualify as proof for lawful residence?
    =am I right in thinking that I still need to prove my lawful residence despite having already done so for my settled status?

I have lived in the country since 1998 yet I couldn't even find enough evidence to qualify for benefits -the only reason why I managed settled status was because they evoked the continuous clause.
    I studied for 9 years without comprehensive sickness insurance and although I have worked through most of, it's not continuous, and I have been a stay-at-home mum since 2010. There is practically no evidence of my existence since my husband pays the bills.
    The only evidence (continuous) I would have is
    bank statements
    child benefit

So in order to make sure I have all the documents I need to make it worthwhile paying £1349.20, I would really appreciate some confirmation as to what kind of thing I need. Thank you so much in advance!
    What is the date you have obtained settled status?

In the meantime please do read the following info as it might be that you do not yet meet the requirements, and you might have to wait until you have had settled status for 3 years before you can apply for UK citizenship.

Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thanks, I'm married to a British citizen. I haven't had settled status for three years, I don't think? I just checked and it's only just over two years. I'm hoping I applied under being married to a British citizen -assuming I did, are there answers to my questions regarding what to take to my appointment.
      Last edited by howthecrowflies; 16-07-2021, 01:47 PM. Reason: Added additional information

Comment

Thanks, I'm married to a British citizen. I haven't had settled status for three years, I don't think? I just checked and it's only just over two years. I'm hoping I applied under being married to a British citizen -assuming I did, are there answers to my questions regarding what to take to my appointment.
        Morning,

Documents all have to be uploaded via the UKVCAS interface so, unless your appointment includes scanning services, the only document you need to have with you is your passport, however, this isn't the major issue here.

From what you are telling us, it looks like you wouldn't satisfy the lawful residence requirement for the last 3 years, as it doesn't look like you acquired PR status at any point during your residence here until you were granted settled status, as you yourself said you didn't qualify for benefits. Obviously I'm not acquainted with your situation, but if you can't show you exercised treaty rights for a continuous 5 year period at some point, then you probably don't satisfy this criteria for another year, till you've had settled status for 3 years. As such, there is a risk that your application may be refused over this, and it may be better to withdraw the application before you have your UKVCAS appointment, as that way you'd get a full refund minus a small admin fee (usually £25), rather than losing the entire fee as would be the case in the event of a refusal.

Withdrawing the application has no effect on a future application which you could submit once you've had settled status fro 3 years, provided you still meet the rest of the criteria, such as absences and the language requirement (language tests are only valid for two years).

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

It sounds like I had better withdraw then, wouldn't want to risk losing all the money. Thank you for your help.

Comment

It sounds like I had better withdraw then, wouldn't want to risk losing all the money. Thank you for your help.
            Very wise and I am glad we were able to stop a risky application and avoid you wasting all the money of the fees.

Best,

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
            X