Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT UPDATE

New Covid provisions for EU Settlement applications have been published. They include Provisions allowing an absence of over 12 months for people with pre-settled status, a provision for a second absence of up to 12 months and for choosing to spend time out of the UK over Covid related issues

See more
See less

Child Registration in order to get British Passport

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Child Registration in order to get British Passport

    Hello,
    first of all I would like to state that your help has been priceless to many of us. Thank you for all the hard work.
    My question is regarding my little one. She is 17 months old and she has applied and got Settled Status.
    She was born before my wife acquired her settled status and reading through the posts, I understand that I have to use form MN1 to register her as British.
    I have also seen posts about form AN and T. So my confusion is to whether I should use form MN1 (and T) or AN for her?
    Does the fact that the daughter has settled status changes anything?

    And in order to apply for her passport, do we have to wait for 12 months after she gets the nationality, or is there any difference for minors?
    You are the experts, and your guidance is key before spending one thousand pounds for MN1 ;-)
    From my research through your forum, I understand that the steps are: (1) get the nationality (either via AN or MN1) and then (2) apply for passport.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Thanks,
    The dad

  • #2
    Originally posted by nveliss View Post
    Hello,
    first of all I would like to state that your help has been priceless to many of us. Thank you for all the hard work.
    Morning and thanks for your kind words, they are much appreciated.



    Originally posted by nveliss View Post
    My question is regarding my little one. She is 17 months old and she has applied and got Settled Status.
    She was born before my wife acquired her settled status and reading through the posts, I understand that I have to use form MN1 to register her as British.
    You don't tell us where she was born, if born in the UK, a child would be born British if at least one parent had acquired PR status or ILR, including settled status, before their birth. PR status is acquired automatically without having to apply for it so it's always worth looking into this if at least one parent was living in the UK for 5 years prior to the birth of the child in the UK, as noted here: How children acquire citizenship

    You may also want to look at these resources:

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nveliss View Post
      I have also seen posts about form AN and T. So my confusion is to whether I should use form MN1 (and T) or AN for her?

      If the above doesn't apply and she wasn't born British, then she would have to be registered using form MN1.

      The AN form is for adults (18 or over) and Form T is for people aged 10 and over where neither parent has yet acquired PR status or ILR (including settled status), so none of these would apply here.

      Originally posted by nveliss View Post
      Does the fact that the daughter has settled status changes anything?

      Not if the child was born here in the UK.

      Originally posted by nveliss View Post
      And in order to apply for her passport, do we have to wait for 12 months after she gets the nationality, or is there any difference for minors?


      No, since once she gets registered, she would be a British citizen as soon as she gets her certificate of registration, which has to be sent with the UK passport application.

      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nveliss View Post
        You are the experts, and your guidance is key before spending one thousand pounds for MN1 ;-)


        You may want to look here:
        Registration of UK born children as British - forms MN1 and T - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

        ...where you'll see:

        Form MN1

        This form can be used to register children whose parents have acquired PR or ILR (including settled status) since the birth of the child.

        The parent needs to prove they have acquired PR status or been granted ILR, the easiest way to do this is to send their PR card or evidence of ILR or settled status, with the application. It can also be used to register children born abroad, at the discretion of the Home Secretary. See
        Children born abroad
        .

        MN1 form guide

        Online MN1 form
        The online form is only referred to as "application to register a child under 18"

        Originally posted by nveliss View Post
        From my research through your forum, I understand that the steps are: (1) get the nationality (either via AN or MN1)

        As above, the AN form is for over 18s, this would be the form MN1, links above.


        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

        Comment


        • #5


          Originally posted by nveliss View Post
          and then (2) apply for passport.

          Please correct me if I'm wrong.

          Thanks,

          The dad

          Yes, that's correct, if she wasn't born British as per my initial response, then she'll have to get registered and, once she gets her certificate, that will be used to apply for the UK passport.

          I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

          Comment


          • #6
            Splendid! Thanks for all the input. Yes, forgot to mention...she was born in the UK. Unfortunately, her mom although being here for more that 5yrs prior to the child's birth, does not have private insurance for 2yrs. So (by reading again through all the info in the forum) I reckon that she cannot claim the treaty rights as they ask at some point for private health care. Do I stand correct here?
            I will wait for your feedback, but I believe the logical next steps would be MN1 first and then passport application.
            Thanks folks - you are amazing. Have a lovely weekend ahead!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nveliss View Post
              Splendid! Thanks for all the input. Yes, forgot to mention...she was born in the UK. Unfortunately, her mom although being here for more that 5yrs prior to the child's birth, does not have private insurance for 2yrs. So (by reading again through all the info in the forum) I reckon that she cannot claim the treaty rights as they ask at some point for private health care. Do I stand correct here?
              This requirement only applies if they intend to rely on periods spent as a full-time student (not working) or self-sufficient persons. Not if they can show they were working or self-employed.

              The documents required to apply for a British passport for a child born here are found in this document: Treaty Rights Guidance

              Originally posted by nveliss View Post
              I will wait for your feedback, but I believe the logical next steps would be MN1 first and then passport application.
              Thanks folks - you are amazing. Have a lovely weekend ahead!
              Failing the above, that would be the case.

              Have a lovely one you too!

              I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

              Comment

              Working...
              X