Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child passport documents - makes no sense!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child passport documents - makes no sense!

We are applying for a British passport for our baby boy. Father is British, mother Finnish - we are not married but both our names are on the baby's birth certificate. The mother (me) has permanent residency AND a positive decision on British citizenship (but thanks to Covid I'm still waiting for my citizenship ceremony). I don't have settled status because I applied for citizenship after acquiring the permanent residency card.

On the online form we are asked to send documents we don't have:

"For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:
    • full birth or adoption certificate
    • naturalisation or registration certificate
    • the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain"

What exactly do we need to send?!

Neither of us have birth or adoption certificates
      I haven't got a naturalisation certificate since I'm not a British citizen yet (because I haven't attended the ceremony yet)
      I have no "indefinite leave to remain" in my Finnish passport (only the blue permanent residency card - but that's not in the passport)
    (When I applied for the British passport for my other son two years ago I got it WITHOUT a British father, and had just received the PR card - no hassle whatsoever. This time around I've had to get a referee for the child AND now I have to send documents I don't have! Bizarre).

Originally posted by voinonen View Post
    We are applying for a British passport for our baby boy. Father is British, mother Finnish - we are not married but both our names are on the baby's birth certificate. The mother (me) has permanent residency AND a positive decision on British citizenship (but thanks to Covid I'm still waiting for my citizenship ceremony). I don't have settled status because I applied for citizenship after acquiring the permanent residency card.

On the online form we are asked to send documents we don't have:

"For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:
    • full birth or adoption certificate
    • naturalisation or registration certificate
    • the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain"

What exactly do we need to send?!

Neither of us have birth or adoption certificates
      I haven't got a naturalisation certificate since I'm not a British citizen yet (because I haven't attended the ceremony yet)
      I have no "indefinite leave to remain" in my Finnish passport (only the blue permanent residency card - but that's not in the passport)
    (When I applied for the British passport for my other son two years ago I got it WITHOUT a British father, and had just received the PR card - no hassle whatsoever. This time around I've had to get a referee for the child AND now I have to send documents I don't have! Bizarre).
    Hello,

There are various grounds for children to have a claim to citizenship, one of them is when the child was born to a parent who had PR or ILR at the time of their birth, another is based on the parent's citizenship. It looks like you have provided the wrong answers somewhere on the form, referring to the fact you are basing the application on your prospective British citizenship, as opposed to having acquired PR status before the birth.

You need to change that answer since you are not even British now, you wouldn't have been when the child was born, so that couldn't be the basis for your application.

If you look here: Passport applications for UK born children

...you'll see:

If a child is born in the UK after at least one parent has acquired PR status, ILR or Settled Status, then they would be automatically British and all you need to do is apply for a British passport. You will need to send supporting documents, see the government documents below for full details:

Treaty Rights Guidance
    So you need to make sure you choose the treaty rights option rather than the British option.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Actually my British partner filled in the application (he is born British). I’m not in the application as a British citizen but as a Finnish (EU) citizen. So that is not the reason for these requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by voinonen View Post
        Actually my British partner filled in the application (he is born British). I’m not in the application as a British citizen but as a Finnish (EU) citizen. So that is not the reason for these requirements.
        If your partner is also the child's parent, then the application would be made on that basis rather than your treaty rights. If one parent was born British, then they would need to provide their birth certificate to prove that.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
        X