Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• citizenship form MN1

Hi, here my question:
    my husband is English by descendant ( his mother became English through naturalization) not born in UK.
    I am EU citizen with settled status
    we are been living in UK for 6 years.
    can my 17 years old son apply for the citizenship ? He would love to do it before turning 18.
    Thank you

Originally posted by JoLion View Post
    Hi, here my question:
    my husband is English by descendant ( his mother became English through naturalization) not born in UK.
    Hi,

Who was not born in the UK? Your husband or his mother?

I am EU citizen with settled status
    we are been living in UK for 6 years.
    can my 17 years old son apply for the citizenship ?
    Am I right in assuming he wasn't born in the UK?

He would love to do it before turning 18.
    Thank you
    The process is quite different for minors (under 18), but we need to know the answers to the above questions.
    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

Yes, my husband is not born in UK but the mother was British at the time of his birth.
      the mom got the citizenship by marriage in the late ‘60s .
      she was not married with his dad when he was born.
      this is why he get the citizenship by descendant.
      Now we are settled in the UK.
      I got the settled status .
      can my son ask for the citizenship?

Comment

Louis M Is MN1 registration the only way in view of the above? Or is there an alternative?
        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

which year was your husband born? Was your son born outside of the UK?

I am an immigration solicitor regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.  I work at Truth Legal Solicitors where I am Head of Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Louis M for full details.

Comment

Thank you , will do it

Comment

Thank you , will do it
              You've not answered Louis's question:

Originally posted by Louis M View Post
              which year was your husband born? Was your son born outside of the UK?

Comment

Array

Comment

Array
                  Unfortunately this is a forum glitch when attempting to quote our lawyer's posts, we are working to try and sort it out, would you mind posting again, this time without quoting? Sorry about that.

Comment

My husband was born n 1974 and my son was born in Italy

Comment

Yes you should certainly have good grounds to register your child as British. Which section, and whether by entitlement or discretion, depends on the specific facts of the case.

He might have an entitlement to register under sections 3(5) or under 3(2) - and thereby obtain British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

Failing that he would have a good case for registration at discretion under 3(1) - this would provide citizenship by descent if the father was British at the time of your son's birth (which I presume to be the case).

All of the above done on form MN1.

** I was considering whether your husband definitely has citizenship by descent, rather than the stronger form ( as if your husband has the strong form of otherwise than by descent then your son is automatically British). From what I can tell this is probably correct although it would require research beyond what I can provide here.

I am an immigration solicitor regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.  I work at Truth Legal Solicitors where I am Head of Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Louis M for full details.

Comment

Would you recommend me to study the case with a solicitor before apply ? Louis M

Comment

Would you recommend me to study the case with a solicitor before apply ? Louis M
                          It does sound like a case where you would benefit from legal advice, the details of our group lawyers, including Louis who very kindly responded above, are found here: Lawyers - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Louis's details are linked to from his signature, here: Louis M - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm reluctant to push you towards getting advice on whether your son automatically is British - as my inclination is that he probably isn't, and so, if you paid for this advice then you might see this as wasted money. But it's up to you. Sorry if that's not very helpful.

Comment

JoLion If you decide to just go ahead with the MN1 registration, you may want to look at this post: Registration of UK born children as British - forms MN1 and T - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Working...
                              X