Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citizenship for my Son -

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LAWYER RESPONSE Citizenship for my Son -

    Dear Admin / Lawyer

    As always I would like to thanks this group for all the help and support. Can you please advise me of the following

    (a) I have a question, My boy is 13 years old, he holds a Tanzanian and Portugal Passport, he has got the settled status through Portuguese Passport in March 2019. Can I do his British Naturalisation application, as I have already got an email from Home Office that my British Citizenship is successful? I am still waiting for an invitation.

    (b) Can you please let me know what application form to fill for my son's British Citizenship Application. I am so confused there is a lot of categories and I could not understand. If you could share a link or advice would be great.

    Thank you in advance.

    Appreciate

    Damania

  • #2
    Originally posted by Damania View Post
    Dear Admin / Lawyer

    As always I would like to thanks this group for all the help and support. Can you please advise me of the following

    (a) I have a question, My boy is 13 years old, he holds a Tanzanian and Portugal Passport, he has got the settled status through Portuguese Passport in March 2019. Can I do his British Naturalisation application, as I have already got an email from Home Office that my British Citizenship is successful? I am still waiting for an invitation.
    Hello again,

    If you look here: Children born abroad

    ...we have:


    This document provides guidance on the registration of children under 18:

    MN1 Guidance

    On page 13, it says the following:

    Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section 3(1) application

    Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship

    Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.
    Please note the requirement above, as your application has been approved, you have satisfied that part of the requirement, however, the application is also reliant on the other parent being settled here, i.e. having acquired PR status or having been granted ILR or settled status.

    I'm not sure what your circumstances are, if you are a single parent or there is no contact with the other parent, then:

    Where the child does not have ongoing contact with the other parent, the parent having day-to-day responsibility for the child should normally be, or be about to become, a British citizen, unless they are settled here and there are strong reasons why registration would be appropriate.
    As you are about to become British, the requirement would still be satisfied, but you'd need to write a note in the cover letter regarding the situation.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Damania View Post
      (b) Can you please let me know what application form to fill for my son's British Citizenship Application. I am so confused there is a lot of categories and I could not understand. If you could share a link or advice would be great.
      MN1 form guide

      Online MN1 form The online form is only referred to as "application to register a child under 18"

      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

      Comment


      • #4
        Dear Admin

        Good Morning

        Thank you very much for your prompt reply and advice. I will start applying for my son's Naturalisation Application.

        My wife has also got the settled Status here in the UK, I believe there wouldn't be any problem with my son's Citizenship Application.

        Once again appreciate your advice and guideline. In case if I need any assistance, I will post the question here.

        Regards
        Damania


        Comment


        • #5
          Dear Admin

          Sorry again here, I have started doing the application for my son, I have the following question can you please advise me

          (a) My son first arrived in the UK with his Tanzanian Passport in the month of June 2015, due to his study in Tanzania, he has traveled back to Tanzania in Dec 2015. He returns back in the UK in June 2017 (He was holding a valid BRC Card),

          When I try to add details on the online form
          Country Visited : Taznania
          Departure Date: 27/12/2015
          Return Date: 09/06/2017

          The following message appears on the screen
          • these dates must be within the 5 years period before the start of the application.

          1. Can you please advise on the above? Will his application be affected?

          2. Do I need to write a covering letter and inform them about his absence?

          3. I was reading the guidelines, they said if the child is over 13 years

          (13 or over: They should normally have completed at least 2 years of residence in the UK before
          being registered.) from June 2017 till date he is in the country and studying here.

          I would appreciate it if you can help and advise me if you could advise me on the above.


          Rest all his absence (The year 2017 till the Year 2019) is accepted by the online application form.


          (b) Secondly In the form they ask for the details of the Grandparents, I have all the details of the Grandparents but they were not British nationals I am applying for my son's British Citizenship on my behalf.

          1.
          Can you please advise me what details should I fill in the form?

          2. Should I fill in all the grandparent's details?

          Thank you very much in advance, Looking forward to your kind advice and support.

          Regards
          Damania

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Damania View Post
            Dear Admin

            Sorry again here, I have started doing the application for my son, I have the following question can you please advise me

            (a) My son first arrived in the UK with his Tanzanian Passport in the month of June 2015, due to his study in Tanzania, he has traveled back to Tanzania in Dec 2015. He returns back in the UK in June 2017 (He was holding a valid BRC Card),

            When I try to add details on the online form
            Country Visited : Taznania
            Departure Date: 27/12/2015
            Return Date: 09/06/2017

            The following message appears on the screen
            • these dates must be within the 5 years period before the start of the application.
            Morning,

            This is simply because the forms are programmed to only take into account absences in the last 5 years, so they don't accept a date starting over 5 years ago. However, as far as I was aware, the application to register a child under 18 didn't ask for the child's absences, unlike the adult naturalisation form. Would you be able to re-check that you have, in fact, chosen the right form:

            Online MN1 form The online form is only referred to as "application to register a child under 18"

            Originally posted by Damania View Post

            (b) Secondly In the form they ask for the details of the Grandparents, I have all the details of the Grandparents but they were not British nationals I am applying for my son's British Citizenship on my behalf.

            1.
            Can you please advise me what details should I fill in the form?

            2. Should I fill in all the grandparent's details?
            No, you don't need to provide grandparents details if the application is not based on parentage, as you are about to become British by naturalisation. I'd suggest going back and checking that you have the right form in the first place, and also check the answers you gave regarding the child's claim to British citizenship.

            I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dear Admin

              Thank you very much for your prompt reply and advice. I will check online form again and try to fill the application.

              Thank you very much and appreciate.

              Regards
              Damania

              Comment


              • #8
                Dear Admin

                I have tried doing Application through the link you have sent me, In form they still ask about the trips outside the UK.

                I would kindly request if you can assist me about my first question.

                Sorry for inconvenience.

                Thanks

                Regards
                DAMANIA

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Damania View Post
                  Dear Admin

                  I have tried doing Application through the link you have sent me, In form they still ask about the trips outside the UK.

                  I would kindly request if you can assist me about my first question.
                  Morning,

                  After digging around, I see this question only appears when you choose the option "One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship", but it doesn't seem to appear when the application for the child is done as part of a family application, i.e. where the child is added to the parent's application as an additional applicant, which is the most common way to apply for children born abroad.

                  In this case, you may just want to provide a trip start date that's exactly 5 years ago, as the form won't accept anything earlier (online forms are full of glitches like these), and provide the actual end date, then write a note in your cover letter to state the actual start date of the absence and explain that the form didn't allow you to enter it as it was over 5 years ago.

                  I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dear Admin

                    Good Morning

                    Thank you very much for your assistance and advice, I will write in a covering letter about his travel details not accepted on online form.

                    Sorry to ask you

                    Is this absence from Dec 2015 to June 2017 will affect my 13 years old son's application for citizenship?

                    (From June 2017 to Date he has an absence for Just 27 Days.
                    He has also obtained his settled Status on 11/03/2019.)


                    Once again, I appreciate all your assistance and advice.

                    Thank you
                    Damania

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Damania View Post
                      Dear Admin

                      Good Morning

                      Thank you very much for your assistance and advice, I will write in a covering letter about his travel details not accepted on online form.

                      Sorry to ask you

                      Is this absence from Dec 2015 to June 2017 will affect my 13 years old son's application for citizenship?

                      (From June 2017 to Date he has an absence for Just 27 Days.
                      He has also obtained his settled Status on 11/03/2019.)

                      Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment?

                      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        this is a discretionary application for a child born abroad. There is no minimum requirement on absences etc... I didn't think this was a question in the form for a child

                        I am an Immigration Adviser with Commonwealth Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Tim M for full details.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tim M View Post
                          this is a discretionary application for a child born abroad. There is no minimum requirement on absences etc... I didn't think this was a question in the form for a child
                          I didn't think it was either, in fact, I did an entire form and PDFd it, then uploaded it here to show it wasn't asked at all, but then, when I went and changed one of the answers to the one I noted above: "One or both of your parents is applying for British citizenship", the question came up!

                          I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good Morning

                            Thank you very much for explaining to me and advising me about my query. I am going to explain his absences in the covering letter. Is anything need to take care, when applying for my son's citizenship application.

                            Appreciate

                            Regards
                            Damania

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Damania View Post
                              Good Morning

                              Thank you very much for explaining to me and advising me about my query. I am going to explain his absences in the covering letter. Is anything need to take care, when applying for my son's citizenship application.
                              Afternoon,

                              Just have a read round this post: Children born abroad

                              I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X