Peace and Solidarity

Announcement

Collapse

THIS FORUM IS NOW CLOSED

If you would like to see this valuable resource remain open as a respoitory, we need your help with the cost of hosting it: Help us keep this site online

Unfortunately our funding came to an end. We achieved what we set out to do since 2016, which was to help as many people as possible, to secure their status here in the UK after Brexit. It was a great pleasure to be here for all of you during all these years and to share the joy of all your success stories. Each and every success made our day, as did your support and very kind words.

See more
See less

T form or MN1

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAWYER RESPONSE T form or MN1

Hi (posting for my friend Gianni).

My daughter was born in the UK in 2003 (she is now 17) and lived in the Uk all her life. The parents were not settled at the time of birth. Since then both I and my wife have obtained settled status.

I would like to apply for my daughter's citizenship (registration) - which form should I use the T form or the MN1 form? I know that the fees are the same more or less (£1012)

Is it true that if she applies before she is 18 she will not need to sit the LITUK test and the English knowledge test?

Many thanks for your help.

Gianni

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post
    Hi (posting for my friend Gianni).

My daughter was born in the UK in 2003 (she is now 17) and lived in the Uk all her life . The parents were not settled at the time of birth. Since then both I and my wife have obtained settled status.

I would like to apply for my daughter's citizenship (registration) - which form should I use the T form or the MN1 form? I know that the fees are the same more or less (£1012)

Is it true that if she applies before she is 18 she will not need to sit the LITUK test and the English knowledge test?

Many thanks for your help.

Gianni
    Tim M (lawyer) would you be able to comment? Many thanks for your time.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities

Comment

you can do either. Personally I think Form MN1 is easier as it does not require extensive proof that she lived in the UK for the first 10 years of her life as Form T does. Yes, if you apply on Form MN1 before she turns 18 then she does not have to meet the adult requirements of English test and LIUK test

I am an Immigration Adviser with Commonwealth Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Tim M for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim M View Post
        you can do either. Personally I think Form MN1 is easier as it does not require extensive proof that she lived in the UK for the first 10 years of her life as Form T does. Yes, if you apply on Form MN1 before she turns 18 then she does not have to meet the adult requirements of English test and LIUK test
        Thank you Tim.

Gianni here is what you need to know to make the application with the MN1 form please read this link

Registration of UK born children as British - forms MN1 and T - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

where it says

Form MN1

This form can be used to register children whose parents have acquired PR or ILR (including settled status) since the birth of the child.

The parent needs to prove they have acquired PR status or been granted ILR, the easiest way to do this is to send their PR card or evidence of ILR or settled status, with the application. It can also be used to register children born abroad, at the discretion of the Home Secretary. See Children born abroad.

MN1 form guide

Online MN1 form The online form is only referred to as "application to register a child under 18"

It is easier to apply for citizenship for the child after the parents have received their PR cards or been granted ILR under the EU Settlement Scheme (settled status). PR status can be backdated as far back as April 30 2006, this is not linked to having had a PR card, see Children born in the UK to EEA nationals.

The online form addresses the child as if they were the applicant, rather than the parent completing the form on their behalf, that means the questions refer to the child and not the parent.

Parent's details such as phone number, email address, etc. can be provided where relevant, however, the National Insurance Number question does refer to the child, not the parent, as teenagers are issued with a NIN after they turn 15.

The form asks whether the child has lived at the same address for the last 5 years, if the child is under 5 years old, the answer has to be Yes, since saying No would require providing previous address. This can be explained in the cover letter and/or additional info section on the form.

Parent(s) immigration status

The form asks whether the parent or legal guardian is settled in the UK, if you answer yes, you have to give the date when ILR was granted. This includes settled status.

It is possible to apply on the basis of having acquired PR status (with or without a PR card) or ILR, including settled status.

Comment

Working...
        X