Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English Language Test & LITUK Test in Birmingham (Oct 2020)

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Language Test & LITUK Test in Birmingham (Oct 2020)

Dear all,

I passed my English language test and my LITUK test last month and wanted to share my experiences with you. I took both tests in Birmingham.

English Language Test
    I booked the English language test with Trinity College in Birmingham. I arrived early but was able to go inside straight away. Upon arrival, I had put my personal belongings into a locker and show my ID and my topic form (they ask you to fill out a topic prior to the test which you can download on their website). A member of staff took me to a different room where my identity was verified and a voice sample recorded. I then had to wait a bit until I was called into a small meeting room where a tablet was set up. The test is done via video call rather than in person due to Covid.
    The test itself was very quick. Firstly, they ask to see your topic form. I chose "travel" and my subtopics were cultural identity, fear of flying, living abroad and language barrier. Others had topics such as "family" or their home town. You can choose freely, but you are not allowed to pick a topic from their list of topics to avoid discussing the same topic twice. You can view the list of their predetermined topics on their website, I believe they have music, sports, transport and celebrations.
    After a couple of minutes chatting about my topic, he said he would now like to talk about music so he asked me what kind of music I listen to, if I like going to concerts etc. Then he said he'd like to talk about transport and asked me a couple of questions about that. Lastly, he wanted me to ask him a question about transport. All in all the test took about 10 minutes.
    I received my preliminary result over night and they issued the certificate and final results a few days later, together with the code for the Home Office.

Life in the UK Test
    I was dreading this one so I just booked the test and gave myself a deadline. I had ordered the Life in the UK book in January but needed some pressure to make it past the first chapter. I've seen a lot of questions online from people asking whether they should read the book of not. I think you should. Not only will it be much easier to pass the test, but the point of the test is to make sure you know about British history and society. Are some of the questions overkill? Yes. Do British people know all of this? Unlikely. But aside from the fact that some of the questions are ridiculous, the book is actually quite interesting.
    I read the book once but I made lots of notes on the side and then explained everything to my husband (he was delighted). I also used a website called lifeintheuktestweb which is absolutely brilliant. They have tests and exams and I kept on repeating both until I passed with at least 22/24 (always failing the sports related questions). In total, I spent 2 weeks studying a few hours every evening.

On the day of the test I arrived ridiculously early, about 1h before my test was scheduled. I found the test centre a bit difficult to find, it'd next to Holland and Barret, right on the High Street. I didn't really want to hang around the shops so I rang and asked if I could come in early - which wasn't a problem at all! The booking in procedure was similar to the one at Trinity College, apart from the voice verification which wasn't needed. I was then shown into a room with lots of computers (looked like an IT class in high school) and shown to the one reserved for me. There are 4 trial questions that don't count towards the final result and 24 actual test questions. You have 45 minutes but as it's multiple choice you will either know the answer, or you don't. I think it took me less than 5 minutes to click through and luckily there was only one sports question Afterwards you are shown back to your locker to collect your things and are told you will receive an email in a few minutes with the results. The email arrived just as I left the building

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I can help with

Afternoon,

Glad to hear you got your two tests sorted out.

Thanks for sharing!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X