X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in UK test proof of address

I'm looking for advice from someone who's taken the Life in the UK test and used a bank statement as their proof of address. The confirmation email I received says the bank statement needs to be stamped - my bank doesn't offer to stamp statements. I'm wondering if the test centre would accept a non-stamped bank statement which was sent to me in the mail.
    Thank you.

Originally posted by Wolfbear2019 View Post
    I'm looking for advice from someone who's taken the Life in the UK test and used a bank statement as their proof of address. The confirmation email I received says the bank statement needs to be stamped - my bank doesn't offer to stamp statements. I'm wondering if the test centre would accept a non-stamped bank statement which was sent to me in the mail.
    Thank you.
    Morning,

The test centres are quite strict when it comes to what they allow as proof of address and it is therefore advisable to follow the official instructions on proof of address to the letter. You can see what is acceptable here: Life in the UK Test: What happens at the test - GOV.UK The governement website alsoconfirms that printed/online bank statements will need to be stamped so it looks like bringing such a statement without a stamp would not be accepted.

The list also shows alternative proof of address which can be used so I would suggest to use an alternative proof if your bank statement does not meet the requirements.

Let us know if you have any further questions and good luck with your test
    I am an Admin and a volunteer, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

My personal experience: I took a bank statement with the envelope(barclays), an electric bill(eon), my driving licence. The person reject the first, second and use my driving licence, was strange...

Comment

Originally posted by che_gaston View Post
        My personal experience: I took a bank statement with the envelope(barclays), an electric bill(eon), my driving licence. The person reject the first, second and use my driving licence, was strange...
        It isn't strange, since the driving license is proof of both identity and address, and we mention this in our resources, however, not everyone has one. They may have chosen the license because you had it on you, and that was enough to identify you and prove your address, that doesn't mean bank statements or bills should be rejected.

With regards to the stamping of bank statements, this should only apply to statements printed off internet banking, not statements sent by post by the bank, banks won't usually stamp those, nor should they have to.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

I had the same issue I called twice the UK Life test centre and informed them that HSBC does not stump the bank statements. They said it's not a problem and actually there was not any.
          I hope that info helps other people in the future

Comment

Originally posted by Irene View Post
            I had the same issue I called twice the UK Life test centre and informed them that HSBC does not stump the bank statements. They said it's not a problem and actually there was not any.
            I hope that info helps other people in the future
            Thank you for your comment. Very helpful.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Just booked the test and the confirmation email states:" ...all documents must be originals posted to your home address, not print outs of electronic documents. If you do not normally receive paper bank statements, you can ask your bank to provide you with one, however it MUST have been stamped....." so it looks like posted bank statement are OK. I will be able to confirm this after the test next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Ammc View Post
                Just booked the test and the confirmation email states:" ...all documents must be originals posted to your home address, not print outs of electronic documents. If you do not normally receive paper bank statements, you can ask your bank to provide you with one, however it MUST have been stamped....." so it looks like posted bank statement are OK. I will be able to confirm this after the test next week!
                Yes, bank statements posted to your home address in the traditional manner have always been acceptable proof of address for the test, provided they are under 3 months old. Watch out for the name as it appears on the statement versus the name on your passport, as that has often been an issue when they don't match.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Hi,

I am taking the test in the next couple of days and on the confirmation email they don't ask for a proof of address.
                  I checked online if there is a change in the policy for taking the test and I can't find anywhere where they mention that you don't need a proof of address anymore.
                  On the Gov site they don't ask for it either anymore without mentioning that it was the case before.
                  Anyway, has anyone taken the test recently? Did they ask for a proof of address?

Thanks for your help.
                  Best

Comment

Originally posted by Europeanlady View Post
                    Hi,

I am taking the test in the next couple of days and on the confirmation email they don't ask for a proof of address.
                    I checked online if there is a change in the policy for taking the test and I can't find anywhere where they mention that you don't need a proof of address anymore.
                    On the Gov site they don't ask for it either anymore without mentioning that it was the case before.
                    Anyway, has anyone taken the test recently? Did they ask for a proof of address?

Thanks for your help.
                    Best
                    They did away with the need for proof of address just before last Christmas, and we did update our LITUK resources to reflect this: Life in the UK test - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll find:

Proof of address is no longer required.

Comment

Oh great! Thanks for your help. Sorry I missed this, I was looking in the forum.
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X