X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport application after nationalisation - names

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked, I looked under names and passports but couldn't find a matching query. I obtained UK citizenship in summer 2018 under my maiden name. I got married after that in Italy. After two years, I finally managed to get my name changed with the Italian authorities but still don't have any documents in the new name. I would like to apply for a British passport in my married name but not sure how to go about it. According to the UK Passport adviceline I need to first change my name on my naturalisation certificate.

If that makes any difference, my married name is my maiden name AND husband's name. I haven't dropped my maiden name.

I believe I read a long time ago on the Facebook group that you can ask the consulate for a letter to say that the person with the maiden name and married name are the same. Is that correct? And if I was to provide that letter with the marriage certificate, would that work for a passport?

Last question on this, my marriage certificate is an international one but still the DVLA wouldn't accept it to update my name on my licence and wanted a translation. Do you thin that would be the case with the passport office if I had to sen my certificate.

Thank you in advance for your all help.

Originally posted by GiorgiaGQ View Post
    Hi all, sorry if this has been asked, I looked under names and passports but couldn't find a matching query. I obtained UK citizenship in summer 2018 under my maiden name. I got married after that in Italy. After two years, I finally managed to get my name changed with the Italian authorities but still don't have any documents in the new name. I would like to apply for a British passport in my married name but not sure how to go about it. According to the UK Passport adviceline I need to first change my name on my naturalisation certificate.

If that makes any difference, my married name is my maiden name AND husband's name. I haven't dropped my maiden name.

I believe I read a long time ago on the Facebook group that you can ask the consulate for a letter to say that the person with the maiden name and married name are the same. Is that correct? And if I was to provide that letter with the marriage certificate, would that work for a passport?

Last question on this, my marriage certificate is an international one but still the DVLA wouldn't accept it to update my name on my licence and wanted a translation. Do you thin that would be the case with the passport office if I had to sen my certificate.

Thank you in advance for your all help.
    I can sympathise, I am also Italian and I have gone through the same process.

My advise is:

Step 1 - renew your Italian passport, making sure that your husband name is added in the Italian passport.

Step 2 - Ask the consulate to provide you with the letter that officially states that Italian women do not change surname, you can obtain the letter by following these instructions: Italian women requesting British citizenship or already in possession of Dual citizenship

Step 3 - write a cover letter a letter saying that your husband's name has been added to page 4 of the Italian passport, hence your name has changed since you have obtained the naturalisation certificate .(You will provide a copy of all pages of your new Italian passport showing where the husband name has been added).

Step 4 - apply for the British passport specifying which names combination you want to appear on it (maiden, maiden and husband or only husband's surname) and attach the above documents from step 2 and 3 - and the naturalisation certificate of course.

This is also highlighted in this post: Maiden names or other names on AN application - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Where it says:

Italian nationals whose spouse’s name appears on a separate page of their passports can request the UK passport and or naturalization certificate to be issued in both names, with a letter explaining that, in Italian, married women cannot change surname in Italy and the only option is to add their husband’s name. You can ask the Italian Consulate to write a letter explaining this. If the husband’s name is on page 4 of their Italian passport, a married Italian woman can request either her married name, or a combination of the two, to appear on their British passport.
    By doing as advised you will not have to also request the naturalisation certificate with a new name, before applying for the British passport.

I hope this helps.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post

I can sympathise, I am also Italian and I have gone through the same process.

My advise is:

Step 1 - renew your Italian passport, making sure that your husband name is added in the Italian passport.

Step 2 - Ask the consulate to provide you with the letter that officially states that Italian women do not change surname, you can obtain the letter by following these instructions: Italian women requesting British citizenship or already in possession of Dual citizenship

Step 3 - write a cover letter a letter saying that your husband's name has been added to page 4 of the Italian passport, hence your name has changed since you have obtained the naturalisation certificate .(You will provide a copy of all pages of your new Italian passport showing where the husband name has been added).

Step 4 - apply for the British passport specifying which names combination you want to appear on it (maiden, maiden and husband or only husband's surname) and attach the above documents from step 2 and 3 - and the naturalisation certificate of course.

This is also highlighted in this post: Maiden names or other names on AN application - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

By doing as advised you will not have to also request the naturalisation certificate with a new name, before applying for the British passport.

I hope this helps.
      Hi, thank you for this. However, I ended up changing my names with the Italian authorities (a long process which is now over). I still don't have new documents with my new name as I can't make an appointment with the consulate. So, I don't think they'll provide that letter and add my husband's name now.

I wonder if it's best to get a British passport in my maiden name at least I have one. Would I then be able to get one for my married name without changing my naturalisation certificate? I feel like it's such a mess now! I have been using my new name with my bank and I'm registered to vote with that as well but don't have any ID.

Comment

Originally posted by GiorgiaGQ View Post

Hi, thank you for this. However, I ended up changing my names with the Italian authorities (a long process which is now over). I still don't have new documents with my new name as I can't make an appointment with the consulate. So, I don't think they'll provide that letter and add my husband's name now.

I wonder if it's best to get a British passport in my maiden name at least I have one. Would I then be able to get one for my married name without changing my naturalisation certificate? I feel like it's such a mess now! I have been using my new name with my bank and I'm registered to vote with that as well but don't have any ID.
        Do you have either a valid ID card or a passport at the moment? If you have either, there is no reason to have this sorted now. I highly recommend following the steps above. The consulate will reopen on 11th January and will be able to help with the letter and you can star the application of a new Italian passport.

You can apply for a British passport in your maiden name then change it again to a married name (a new British passport)
        Dual nationals and different names on British passport - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
        but you will still need a letter from the Italian consulate.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
        X