Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Citizenship application with Settled Status what documents do I need to prepare?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • British Citizenship application with Settled Status what documents do I need to prepare?

    Dear Forum,

    Could you please help me better understand what I need to prepare (in addition to what I already have) to apply for the British Citizenship?
    What I already have:
    I have recently obtained Settled Status (Indefinite Leave in the UK). It was issued 9 Sep’21.
    I also have Permanent Residency card. I have passed the ‘Life in The UK’ test (was needed for the Permanent residency application). Issued back in May 2019.
    I have two referees with British passports and required professions.
    I hold Masters degree from University of London (which waves the language test requirement).

    According to what I have read on Home Office website - if I had permanent residency before getting settled status then I can still count the time that I had permanent residence towards 12 month qualifying period. I might not have to wait 12 months after getting settled status. Is that correct?

    Could you also advise what other documents or information I need to have ready before I apply?

    Thank you,
    Isabella


  • #2
    Originally posted by ibella View Post
    Dear Forum,

    Could you please help me better understand what I need to prepare (in addition to what I already have) to apply for the British Citizenship?
    What I already have:
    I have recently obtained Settled Status (Indefinite Leave in the UK). It was issued 9 Sep’21.
    Hello again

    This is your settled status thread, now in our successes are, and I'm very happy to announce you were the first member to get a decision after making a late application!

    Originally posted by ibella View Post
    I also have Permanent Residency card. I have passed the ‘Life in The UK’ test (was needed for the Permanent residency application).
    Actually, the LITUK test was NOT required for the the PR card, you must have done it with the intention of applying for citizenship.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment


    • #3

      Originally posted by ibella View Post
      Issued back in May 2019.
      I have two referees with British passports and required professions.
      I hold Masters degree from University of London (which waves the language test requirement).

      According to what I have read on Home Office website - if I had permanent residency before getting settled status then I can still count the time that I had permanent residence towards 12 month qualifying period. I might not have to wait 12 months after getting settled status. Is that correct?
      That is correct, as stated here: Check if you can become a British citizen - GOV.UK

      ...where they say:
      If you had permanent residence status before you got settled status

      You can no longer apply for citizenship based on your permanent residence status.

      If you had permanent residence status, you can count the time that you had it towards the 12 months you need to wait before applying for citizenship with your settled status.

      Example You came to the UK in 2013 and gained permanent residence status in 2018. In April 2021, you got settled status.
      Usually, you would need to wait 12 months after getting settled status to apply for citizenship - but because you had permanent residence status for 3 years already, you can apply straightaway.
      You will need to upload your PR card with the rest of supporting evidence to show you acquired PR status over 12 months ago despite having been granted settled status only a few days ago.


      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ibella View Post
        Could you also advise what other documents or information I need to have ready before I apply?
        We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

        ....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

        Your PR card should be evidence of lawful residence during the last 5 years, as noted here:
        Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

        Comment

        Working...
        X