Please note the evidence below is for the purpose of proving residence during a period of exercising treaty rights and/or for later years after PR status was acquired, to show PR status was not lost through an absence of two years or longer, this isn't the same as the evidence required for citizenship applications.

See: Evidence of residence for citizenship applicants

The Home Office guidance says:

If you are an EEA national relying on periods of residence as a worker, you do not need to provide additional evidence of residence for the same periods covered by your evidence of employment. However, if you are relying on any period of residence in another activity (for example, as a jobseeker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person or student), or are applying as a family member, you will need to provide one piece of evidence for every qualifying 12 month period to confirm residence in the UK.

You only need additional evidence of residence for those years not covered by evidence of employment.

If more than 2 years have elapsed since your qualifying period ended, you will also need to provide one piece of evidence for every subsequent 12 month period to confirm residence in the UK.

If you are applying on the basis of 5 years’ continuous residence, the evidence must cover the 5-year period. The documents should be spread evenly throughout the 5 years.

The updated guidance classifies documents in various categories according to their value.

Whenever possible, you should try to provide Category A (high value) documents.

The guidance only requires ONE document for every 12 month period.

Ideally, you should try to provide documents from more than one source.

Category A - High value
  • Utility bills (gas, electricity, water)
  • Council Tax bill
  • Bank statements
  • Credit card statements
  • School / college / university letters
  • Evidence of continuous employment, such as HMRC employment history
See: Bank statements.

Category B – Medium value
  • Tenancy agreements
  • NHS letters to confirm regular attendance (not single appointments)
  • Mortgage agreements
  • For children (relating to a child application only): a letter from the child’s school, confirming attendance at the school
Category C – Low value
  • Mobile phone bills
With bank and credit card statements, if used to prove residence, sending the first page should be enough.

A helpful tip for proving residence is to apply for a credit report. This shows your credit cards, loans, mortgage, mobile phone, addresses etc. Some credit reference agencies are now offering free credit reports, such as Experian and Clearscore.