Benefits that you are legally entitled to do not stop you from applying for PR, however, if you are trying to claim that you are a self-sufficient person, some benefits may cause the Home Office to think that you are not truly self-sufficient. If you need PR certification, you should seek legal advice on this.

Some so-called "benefits" or "public funds", such as the State Pension, etc., do not affect self-sufficiency.

Receiving Child Benefit does not stop you being genuinely employed.

What is considered a benefit?

'Public funds' are defined in the Immigration Rules as:
  • attendance allowance;
  • carers’ Allowance (CA);
  • child benefit;
  • child tax credit;
  • council tax benefit (now abolished)
  • council tax reduction;
  • disability living allowance (DLA);
  • income-related employment and support allowance (ESA);
  • homelessness assistance and housing provided under specific provisions
  • housing benefit (HB);
  • income support (IS);
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance (JSA);
  • local welfare assistance;
  • pension credit;
  • PIP;
  • severe disablement allowance;
  • social fund payments;
  • universal credit (UC);
  • working tax credit.
Only the benefits, tax credits and other assistance listed in the Immigration Rules are public funds.

The 25% council tax discount for single adults is NOT a benefit.

Non means tested benefits and self-sufficiency

The following are non-means tested benefits intended to cover the additional costs of living with a disability or caring for a disabled person
  • Carers Allowance (CA)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP); and
  • Attendance Allowance
Because they are not means tested, they can be paid to people who otherwise have enough money to live on.

If the recipients do not rely on other benefits such as ESA or Housing Benefit, receipt of these benefits may not affect self-sufficiency.

Evidence of receiving or not receiving benefits

There is no requirement to prove you never claimed or received benefits, only to declare those you did receive (if any).

The DWP can only provide letters stating receipt of benefits, they cannot provide information about people who do not feature on their database because they have not claimed any benefits.

The following can be used to prove receipt of benefits:
  • your or your sponsor’s bank statements showing receipt of the relevant benefit(s)
  • letter(s) from Jobcentre Plus, Department for Work and Pensions, HMRC, or the local authority, confirming award of the relevant benefits.
There is no requirement to provide evidence of receipt of child benefit, just mention it on the form if applicable, although you can provide it if you have it.

Obtaining evidence of benefits