Peace and Solidarity




If you would like to see this valuable resource remain open as a respoitory, we need your help with the cost of hosting it: Help us keep this site online

Unfortunately our funding came to an end. We achieved what we set out to do since 2016, which was to help as many people as possible, to secure their status here in the UK after Brexit. It was a great pleasure to be here for all of you during all these years and to share the joy of all your success stories. Each and every success made our day, as did your support and very kind words.

See more
See less

Studies, self-sufficiency and CSI


Exercising treaty rights as a student or self-sufficient person. The CSI requirement.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Evidence of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI)

    CSI cover was a requirement under EU rules to count periods of studies or self-sufficiency, as lawful residence, and towards PR status.

    You need to provide one of the following documents which was valid for the relevant period of study or self-sufficiency:
    • schedule or other document from a private medical insurance provider outlining the level of cover, this must have covered you/your sponsor/your family member(s) for the majority of risks while in the UK
    • European Health
    See more | Go to post

  • Using the NHS and paying for prescriptions or treatment

    The CSI requirement comes from European Directives that apply to ALLmember states.

    Where does the CSI requirement come from?

    Not using the NHS or paying for your own treatment when required are no substitute for a health insurance policy for PR purposes (to satisfy the CSI requirement).

    There is no requirement not to have used the NHS to to have been lawfully resident during periods spent as a student or self-sufficient,...
    See more | Go to post

  • EHIC cards and CSI

    EHIC cards and CSI

    Students and/or self-sufficient persons, can meet the requirement of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance if the applicant provides an EHIC card from their own country

    An EHIC card from the UK is not valid for this purpose.

    The applicant needs to show that they have held such a card throughout the period of residence as a student and/or self-sufficient person. This may require a letter from the authority in their own country issuing the card, to confirm...
    See more | Go to post

  • Where does the CSI requirement come from and when was it introduced?

    Where does the CSI requirement come from and when was it introduced?

    The CSI requirement comes from EU directives that apply to all member states.

    It was a requirement as early as 1990, it was in place in the EEA Regulations 2000, and even the Immigration (European Economic Area) Order 1994.

    This means that, if you apply for PR without it relying on periods when you needed it (periods spent as a student or a self-sufficient person), then your PR application would be refused, regardless of how long ago this period...
    See more | Go to post

  • Voluntary NI contributions

    Voluntary NI contributions

    You can pay voluntary NICs if you are low income, but it won't help you with PR status, they would not fulfil the CSI requirement.

    Voluntary contributions may be required to ensure you get a full state pension, but you should get a pension forecast before making any payments.

    If you are on a low income as a worker, the PAYE system will take care of your NICs. However, make sure you are paid properly through the company's books and NOT cash in hand....
    See more | Go to post

  • Income and/or savings from British or non EEA partner

    Income and/or savings from British or non EEA partner

    If your husband/wife/civil partner is a British citizen or a non EEA national who is working full time to provide for the family, their income and savings can be included if you are also named on the bank account – in other words, you have access to those funds.

    This might help you in applying as a self-sufficient person if you have sufficient funds to support yourself and you have CSI.

    His/her income will only count if applying as self-sufficient, and...
    See more | Go to post

  • Minimum income to be self-sufficient

    Minimum income to be self-sufficient

    There is no set minimum income.

    The general rule is that they have enough income and/or savings above that at which they could qualify for any benefits. However, you may receive some non means tested benefits and still be self-sufficient.

    See: Benefits and PR applications - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

    This is from their guidance:

    You must prove...
    See more | Go to post

  • Evidence for students

    Evidence for students

    Evidence to send as a full-time student who isn’t also in work
    • Confirmation of study/studying with educational institution(s): proof of enrolment, letter from organisation confirming course(s), period(s) of study with start date(s) or qualification (if course start date is shown) if study is now complete; and
    • One bank statement per year of study, or similar; or
    • Evidence of grant or sponsorship covering the period of study, evidencing your financial self-sufficiency; or
    • Written confirmation
    See more | Go to post

  • Evidence for self-sufficient persons

    Evidence for self-sufficient persons

    • A bank statement or similar; one for each year of the 5 year qualifying period, showing received funds or lump sum proving sufficient funds to meet personal circumstances.
    • A pension statement showing monthly or yearly payment or a bank statement showing payment from pension provider or similar, one for each year for the appropriate period if appropriate (for self-sufficient retirees).
    • If a relative, friend or other person has been financially supporting you/your sponsor, you must enclose
    See more | Go to post
There are no articles in this category.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.