Unfortunately, the option to apply for extended family members and dependent relatives ended at the end of 2020, applications for EEA family permits and residence cards are no longer being accepted.

Extended family members who made an application for a family permit or residence card before the end of 2020 can still use this document to apply for pre-settled status.

Unmarried partners living outside the UK can still apply for an EEA family permit until the end of June. See: Unmarried partners

Holders of EEA residence cards as an extended family member must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before the 30th June 2021 deadline.

Applications for extended family members, including unmarried/durable partners, require a document issued under the EEA Regulations, such as an EEA Family Permit or a residence card.

Applications for EEA residence cards are no longer accepted. Extended family members and unmarried partners who did not obtain the relevant document will not be able to apply for pre-settled status.

Extended family members of the non-EU spouse could no longer be sponsored since February 2017.

Extended family members

From 1 February 2017 the rights of extended family members only applies to relatives of the EEA national and not to relatives of the EEA national’s spouse or civil partner. This means that an extended family member can no longer rely on their relationship to the EEA national’s spouse or civil partner in order to meet the requirements of regulation 8. Instead, they must show that they are related to the EEA national.
Who is a dependent relative?

Dependent relatives, also referred to as extended family members, include the brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece or cousin of an EU citizen (or, in some cases, of their spouse or civil partner).

To apply for pre-settled status, extended family members require:

A relevant document issued on the basis of the family relationship, such as a residence card or a family permit (EEA FP); and
Evidence of dependency, which could be:
  • needing and receiving personal care from the family member on serious health grounds; or
  • being a member of your family member's household (living with them).

Further information regarding dependency and how to establish it

See page 57 of the Home Office guidance, for examples for dependence evidence:

This evidence might take the form of for example:
  • evidence of their financial dependency, such as bank statements or money transfers to the applicant from the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen) or the spouse or civil partner
  • evidence that the applicant needs and receives (or for the relevant period did so) the personal care of the relevant EEA citizen (or qualifying British citizen), or of their spouse or civil partner, on serious health grounds, such as a letter from a hospital consultant.
A UT Judge has analysed EU case law on the meaning of “dependent” and summarised it as follows:
  1. A person is only dependent if they actually receive support from another
  2. There doesn't need to be a right to that support, and it is irrelevant that there are alternative sources of support available
  3. That support must be material, although not necessarily financial, and must provide for, or contribute towards, the basic necessities of life.
See also: Evidence for family members
Source: Evidence of relationship