Children need status under the EU Settlement Scheme

Children of any age will need to have settled or pre-settled status before the end of June 2021, unless they are already British or get registered as British.

Children born in the UK, or children born abroad to a British parent may be entitled to British citizenship. See:

UK nationality
UK citizenship for UK born children of EEA parents
Children who are Irish nationals do not need status under the scheme.Children of Irish nationals get:
  • the same status that you could get, based on how long you’ve lived in the UK
  • settled or pre-settled status, based on their own residence
This also applies if you’re from Northern Ireland and have Irish, British or dual British and Irish citizenship, and your child does not have Irish, British or dual citizenship.

How children get status

There is no facility to add children to your application nor family applications.
Individual applications have to be made for each child.

The application form may ask different questions depending on the age of the applicant:

Applicants under 16 do not get asked for a National Insurance number
Applicants under 18 are not asked about criminality or extremism
Applicants under 21 can have their application linked to their parent(s) application

Children who are, themselves, EEA nationals living in the UK can either:

Apply in their own right, based on their own UK residence; or
Link their application to their parent(s) application

The choice is made as per screen shown below. As anybody under 21 can be considered a "child", the screens address the applicant rather than the parent. Parents completing the form for younger children should take this into account.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ChildOptions.PNG Views:	2 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	2513
Linking applications

If the option to apply using parent's residence in the UK is chosen, the following questions appear:
Click image for larger version  Name:	ParentsDetails.PNG Views:	1 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	2514
To be able to use this option, the parent should apply for themselves before applying for their child(ren).

Linked children under 21 get the same status as their parent(s). This is particularly important where the child would only qualify for pre-settled status if applying on their own right.

Only one parent needs to have status to link applications.

The same principles apply whether the applicant is a national of an EEA/EU country or Switzerland or from outside the EEA/EU.

Applications are linked through the parent's application number.

It is possible to apply for under 21s at any time after the parent(s) have applied, there's no need to wait for a decision.

What is required to apply

The 16-digit reference number from the parent's application, which can be found on the certificate of application and emails from the Home Office.

The parent's email address can be used if the child does not have one.
For linked applications, only proof of relationship, such as a birth certificate, is required in addition to proof of identity.

If the child's parent is the sponsor's non-EEA spouse, evidence of the relationship between the parents is also required.

It is also possible to apply for adopted children as well as children subject to family court orders.

You need to provide proof of your child’s residence if your child started living in the UK before the end of December 2020.

EEA national children who were not living in the UK before this date can still make an application, but there will be a note in the Home Office's records, to say they will not be eligible to sponsor other family members themselves in the future.

This is in accordance with the Withdrawal Agreement.

Children who are not EEA nationals cannot apply on their own right.

Children born or adopted after 31 December 2020

If your child is born or adopted in the UK before 1 April 2021, you must make an application for them by 30 June 2021.

If your child is born or adopted in the UK on or after 1 April 2021, you must apply within 3 months of the date they were born or adopted.
See also: Evidence for children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Attached Files