If you have been asked to send additional evidence of residence, you can send documents such as those mentioned below.

You do not need to send evidence unless you have been asked to do so.

See: Evidence of residence.

The list is not exhaustive, the Home Office may consider other items of evidence on a case by case basis.
You need to show you, or your family member if relying on one, started living in the UK before December 31st 2020.

Evidence covering longer periods of time

Documents that cover a longer period of time between 2 dates include:
  • annual bank statement or account summary, showing at least 6 months of payments received or spending in the UK, including joint accounts
  • employer letter confirming employment and evidence that the employer is genuine, for example, their Companies House number
  • council tax bill
  • letter or certificate from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation showing the dates you enrolled, attended and completed your course
  • invoice for fees from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation and evidence of payment
  • document showing a UK address from a student finance body in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland or from the Student Loans Company
  • residential mortgage statement or rental agreement and evidence of payment
  • letter from a registered care home confirming your residence there
  • employer pension contributions
  • annual business account of a self-employed person
  • a P60 for a 12-month period – your P60 shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). We may ask you for additional evidence to confirm that you were resident here for at least 6 months of that period.
  • a P45 showing the length of your previous employment. You should get a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.
Evidence that covers shorter periods of time

These documents count as evidence for 1 month if they have a single date on. They can be used to cover a longer period of time if they have a start and end date covering longer than a month.
  • bank statement showing payments received or spending in the UK, including joint accounts
  • payslip for a UK-based job
  • water, gas or electricity bill showing a UK address
  • landline or mobile telephone, TV or internet bill showing a UK address
  • domestic bill, such as for home repairs, vet’s services or insurance, and evidence of payment
  • card or letter from your GP, hospital or other healthcare professional confirming appointments you have made or attended
  • letter from a government department, public service or charity that show you dealt with them on a particular date or for a particular period (for example Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice)
  • passport stamp confirming entry at the UK border
  • used travel ticket confirming you entered the UK from another country
  • invoice for work you have done in the UK and evidence of payment
If using a boarding pass to prove that the travel ticket was used, the boarding pass should have a full date, including the year of the flight. Some boarding passes have only the month and day, these wouldn't be accepted without additional evidence, since it won't be possible to establish when the applicant travelled to the UK.

Documents you cannot use as evidence

The documents you use should be from an official or impartial source.

You cannot use:
  • photos and videos
  • letters or references from family and friends
  • greeting cards, for example birthday cards
  • postcards sent or received
  • personal scrapbooks
Freemovement have produced a template letter employers can use to verify the residence of their employees. This template can be amended and modified in order to be used by schools and care homes to verify the residence, of students/pupils and care home residents.

Source: Evidence of residence.