Settled status, is not enough evidence of residence for the last 3 or 5 years, as the criteria to obtain it is different, and it can be based on an earlier period of residence and not necessarily the last 5 years.

For that reason, the Home Office requires additional evidence of residence sent with your application.

The online AN form produces a checklist at the end of the form, where you are asked to send certain documents, including evidence of residence.

Applications with settled status

Residence evidence for the last 3 or 5 years, as per AN guidance, should be provided.

Settled status is not backdated, even if it was granted on the basis of an earlier period of residence, and an earlier period other than the last 5 years would only be considered if the applicant has not been living in the UK continuously for the last 5 years. This does not affect the date when it is granted.


It is recommended that you submit one item of evidence for each year since the date when ILR was granted.

Although it is perfectly possible to apply with ILR issued decades ago, such as in the '70s and '80s (provided you have the old passports or residence documents with stamps or Home Office letter), you will be required to send evidence of ongoing residence since then, which may prove difficult. If you are unable to obtain the evidence, you may wish to apply for settled status and use that to apply for citizenship.

PR cards

From the 1st of July 2021, it is no longer possible to apply using a PR card as evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions. You must use settled status unless you have another form of ILR, such as "old" ILR or a BRP ILR issued under the Windrush Scheme.
You can still use a PR card as evidence of lawful residence and evidence of acquiring PR status over 12 months ago, if you were granted settled status less than 12 months ago and you are not married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British spouse.

Evidence of residence
  • Your passports covering the 3 or 5 year period
  • Documentary evidence that indicates presence in the UK during the relevant 3 or 5 years. This can be in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments. A sample of these documents, at least one from each of the 3 or 5 years, should be submitted.
  • Continued presence in the country can be shown by enclosing lists of attended appointments from GPs, dentists, physiotherapists, dental hygienists and hospital consultants (i.e. hospital appointments).
  • Your children's school attendance records and letters confirming you drop them off and pick them up.
  • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions made in the UK.
  • A P60 from an employer would be equivalent to a letter from an employer and Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
Although the Home Office prefers official documents from government departments, if you are unable to provide them, or the other items on the list above, you can send anything that has your name, address and a date on it.

You may want to explain in your cover letter and/or additional information section of the form, why you are unable to provide their preferred evidence.

There is no requirement to provide proof of address, just list your addresses over the last 5 years in the relevant section of the AN form. You need to provide evidence of residence, but not at a specific address.

You don't need to send tenancy agreements, they only prove you signed a lease, they are not evidence of ongoing residence.

In cases where the caseworker doesn't think enough evidence of residence has been provided, they would contact the applicant, asking for it.

Because EEA nationals don't get their passports stamped in and out of the UK, the Home Office requires additional evidence of residence.

It is very important to send the requested evidence before the deadline given by the caseworker, to avoid a refusal.

If you are unable to provide additional evidence, you should write back as soon as possible, explaining the situation and try to provide whatever you may have.