Earnings and employment

There is no earnings requirement for naturalisation and there is no need to provide evidence of earnings from employment - just to provide details of your employment history on the form. The guidance suggests some evidence that you may have to help you to identify the information to put on the form.

You only need to be concerned if you have been employed and you know that tax and national insurance due was not being paid. If that was the case, you may fail the good character requirement.

Proof of employment is not necessary after you have obtainedPR, ILR or Settled Status. But you can still used it as evidence of residence.

The Home Office prefers HMRC or DWP correspondence regarding tax coding, self-assessment, letters from educational appointments and other official documents as well as employers’ letters and P60s, however, you can also provide council tax bills and bank statements as well as NHS correspondence such GP and hospital appointments.

If you are not currently working, you can just write something like: “not working”, “unemployed” or “homemaker”. You can also use the additional information page or cover letter to explain further if you wish.

Employment history

You must provide details of your employment history for the 10 years preceding the date of application. If you have been in the UK for less than 10 years, you only need to provide it for the years you have been here.

This is requested because you are expected to have paid your tax and national insurance to meet the good character requirement. The guidance suggests the evidence that may support a claim to have paid the tax and national insurance, but you don't need to submit this evidence with your application.

The Home Office will make its own checks of HMRC to make sure tax and national insurance was paid, should they decide to do so.

If you haven’t been employed all the time, you only need to list the jobs you had.

You don’t need to explain what you were doing while not employed.

Gaps in employment do not affect the application. The requirement is lawful residence for the last 3 or 5 years, as noted here: Lawful residence

The role or position you had has no relevance to the application.

The form has been updated to allow overlapping dates. If you had more than one job at the same time, or were both employed and self-employed, you can now mention all activities on the form.

Changes in employers' names and addresses, mergers & acquisitions, TUPE transfers and various roles

If your employer changed its company name, you can provide either name and a brief note can be written in your cover letter to mention this.
If you were transferred to another company via TUPE, this is a single employment on the form, as you remain under the same contract.
If you had various roles with the same employer, this is also a single employment, and you don't need to go into detail about your various roles.
If your employer has changed addresses since your P60s were issued, you can put down the new address.

The only documents you must submit are those set out at the end of Form AN, which does not include evidence of employment as such, just of lawful residence for the relevant period. When you sign the form, you authorise the Home Office to contact HMRC if they want to check that you paid your tax and national insurance.

See also: