The form has the following questions regarding your occupation.
  • If you work for someone else, you are an employee
  • If you work for yourself, you are self-employed or a business partner
  • If you run your own limited company, then you are a director rather than self-employed.
  • If you are not working, then tick "Other".
You can tick more than one box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EmploymentDetails.png Views:	1 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	999

If you are employed, self-employed or a director, you need to provide the details of your main employer (if employed), or your own business or company (if self-employed). This is where you get most of your current income from

As the form doesn't allow overlapping dates, if you have more than one job, or are/were both employed and self-employed at the same time, you need to mention this in your cover letter.

If you are not employed, then you choose "Other" and provide details as below. This applies if you are:
  • unemployed
  • a student
  • doing voluntary work
  • retired
  • a homemaker
  • unable to work
Click image for larger version  Name:	OtherOccupation.png Views:	1 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	1000
You can just write any of the above in the box.

Tax office reference

To find out which HMRC Tax Office deals with your tax issues look at a recent payslip. You will see a PAYE reference.

If you are/were self-employed, use your UTR.

If you were both employed and self-employed, you can insert PAYE reference and UTR so they can check whatever they want and satisfy themselves that you are compliant.

See also: