Unless you have a recognised qualification, or are exempt on age or health grounds, you will need to sit the language test.

You will have to do this even if you:
  • Grew up in the UK
  • Got GCSEs/A levels in the UK
  • Have lived in the UK for decades
  • Have an English language qualification, such as a Cambridge Certificate
  • Work as a translator
  • Teach English
See if you are exempt: The language test is only valid for two years.

List of approved language tests: Prove your English language abilities with a secure English language test (SELT) - GOV.UK

The language requirement on the AN form

You may encounter the following questions on the online form:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LanguageAbility.png Views:	1 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	44201


Click image for larger version  Name:	LanguageRequirement2013.png Views:	1 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	1023

These questions are aimed at non-EEA nationals who are here under the UK immigration rules and who had to satisfy the language requirement in order to get ILR.

EEA nationals and their non-EEA family members must reply No to this question as it doesn't apply to anyone who didn't need to satisfy the language requirement to obtain ILR, settled status does not have this requirement.

If you mistakenly choose Yes in response to this question, you will not be given the option to state how you satisfy the language requirement on the online AN form.

If you respond No to this question, you will be asked whether you have a suitable degree:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Degree.png Views:	1 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	1024

If you do not have a degree taught in English, you are then asked about the language test:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LanguageTest.png Views:	1 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	1025

If you got a certificate, you will be required to submit it with your application. If you have an online reference number instead, you will have to provide the following details:

Click image for larger version  Name:	OnlineRe.png Views:	1 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	1026

Reference numbers

Trinity College

From Trinity College website: SELT FAQs | Trinity College London

You will find the reference number on your certificate. For example: TCL/123456/123456/123456789.

Put UKVI number without slashes, this is made of IEL plus date of test plus centre code plus your candidate number.

See: Booking your language test

It is possible to use a language test as long as it's Level B1 and also included on this list Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests - GOV.UK

Language tests are only valid for two years.
Attached Files