Please support us so we can help others


No announcement yet.

Search Result

35 results in 0.0077 seconds.
  • You can also choose from the popular tags.

  • Extension of the Workers Registration Scheme (WRS) finally ruled unlawful

    The decision to extend the WRS requirement for A8 nationals from 1 May 2009 to 30 April 2011 had previously been ruled unlawful, however, the Home Office appealed this ruling. The Supreme Court finally decided the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions v Gubeladze case on 19 June 2019, where the appeal was dismissed and the extension is now officially unlawful.

    This decision can have several implications for nationals of A8 countries who worked in the UK during the extension period,...
    See more | Go to post

  • Supreme Court rules WRS extension unlawful

    The case of Secretary of State for Work and Pensions v Gubeladze was finally ruled on by the Supreme Court on 19 June 2019, after the Home Office had appealed the ruling by the Court of Appeal that ruled the extension of the WRS (Worker Registration Scheme) from 2009 till 2011, was unlawful.

    This case only affects nationals of the A8 countries that joined the EU in 2004:
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • Hungary
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Poland
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    See more | Go to post

  • Citizenship application step-by-step

    From January 2021, you can only use a PR card if you haven't been granted settled status. You can still use your PR card to prove you acquired PR status and to show lawful residence when applying with settled status.
    ​ Please refer to this post for an overview of most common issues: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions
    Make sure you have PR, ILR or settled status.
    See more | Go to post

  • Downloading the online AN form as a PDF

    Downloading the online AN form as a PDF

    You may want to download a copy of the online AN form in PDF format, which can be viewed on your browser and printed off if required.

    It is possible to download a PDF even if the form is incomplete, in that case, the PDF will have the words "incomplete application" appended to the end of the file name.

    To download a PDF of the form, go to the top of the screen and click on the applicant's name as shown below. If doing a family application,...
    See more | Go to post

  • Spanish nationals and surname certificates

    Recently, the Home Office have started allowing for different names in two different passports if the law of the country of origin is strict and does not allow for the same rules as the UK.

    See: Documents in various names.

    Surnames certificate

    In light of the above, the Spanish consulate now issues a certificate explaining this law in English so you can present it to the HO. There is a fee of £32.75 to pay for this service.
    See more | Go to post

  • Overview of the naturalisation process

    Overview of the naturalisation process

    From January 1st, you can only use your PR card if you haven't been granted settled status

    In order to apply for citizenship, applicants must have ILR, including Settled Status.

    The application submission date is the relevant date for ALL practical purposes, not the biometrics appointment date.

    If you have settled status, you CAN NO LONGER apply with a PR card.

    Step-by-step guide

    See more | Go to post

  • Expired passports, ID cards and travel documents

    It is possible to apply using a valid passport or ID card, however, the form will ask you if you have a valid passport and, if the answer is Yes, it will ask you to provide the document, even if you also have a valid ID card.
    Passports only need to be valid at the time the application is submitted online, not on the date of your biometrics appointment.

    All documents are uploaded and sent in digital format to the Home Office, so there is no...
    See more | Go to post

  • Evidence of residence

    Settled status, is not enough evidence of residence for the last 3 or 5 years, as the criteria to obtain it is different, and it can be based on an earlier period of residence and not necessariy the last 5 years.

    For that reason, the Home Office requires additional evidence of residence sent with your application.

    The same principle would apply to a PR card with an issue date less than 5 years ago (or 3 if married to a British spouse), if...
    See more | Go to post

  • Allowed absences and discretion

    The usual absence allowances are:
    • Up to 90 days in the last 12 months; and either
    • Up to 270 days in the last 3 years if you are married to a British citizen at the time of your application; or
    • Up to 450 days in the last 5 years if you are not married to a British citizen.
    The Home Office has discretion to waive excess absences in individual cases, for example, as a result of your work.

    The individual circumstances of each case will be looked at, includin...
    See more | Go to post

  • Absences and citizenship applications

    To count how many days you have been absent, only whole days of absence are counted, not the day when you leave the country nor when you return.

    If you download the form in pdf format, it will show the calculation, for each stay and the total.

    See: Downloading a PDF of the AN form.

    Please double-check that the dates you have entered are correct, before submitting the form, it is very easy to make a mistake when...
    See more | Go to post

  • Majority English speaking countries

    Majority English speaking countries

    Nationals of certain countries which are regarded as majority English-speaking countries do not need to to satisfy the English language requirement for naturalisation and do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.

    The following countries are regarded as majority English speakers:
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Australia
    • The Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Canada
    • Dominica
    • Grenada
    • Guyana
    • Jamaica
    • New Zealand
    • Republic of Ireland
    • St Kitts and Nevis
    • St Lucia
    • St
    See more | Go to post

  • Parking tickets, FPNs and motoring convictions

    A parking ticket given by a traffic warden or council officer does not need to be declared unless you think that you have so many that it will affect your 'good character'.

    Penalties issued by police officers are different, as are tickets which result in a court appearance.

    Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) are declared under the heading of “A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty”.

    Points on your license will stay visible...
    See more | Go to post

  • Timescale to complete the AN form online

    The form will be kept for a month, then, if you ask to save it, after submitting it you must log in within 10 weeks to download the documents.

    You must return to your application within 10 weeks, or it will be deleted to protect your privacy.

    You can keep your application alive much longer than 10 weeks by logging in regularly, however, if the form is updated, you may be asked to answer some questions again.

    An admin has kept...
    See more | Go to post

  • Family applications and dependants

    Family applications

    You can include family members in your application. Once you start your form, you get the option to add spouses, children and siblings to the form.

    However, each individual will be assessed against the statutory requirements in their own right.

    The fees are the same as for individual applications, there are no savings nor discounts for applying together as a family.

    The main advantage...
    See more | Go to post

  • Working without WRS (A8 nationals only)

    The extension of the WRS from the 1st of May 2009 till 30 April 2011 has been ruled unlawful, as noted here: Supreme Court rules WRS extension unlawful.

    As the requirement ended over 10 years ago, this is no longer an issue for nationals of A8 countries applying for citizenship.

    A8 nationals are citizens of the following countries:
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • Hungary
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Poland
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    See more | Go to post